Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cost for checking problems in your car

The problems that Paul and Berny have posted brought an interesting question to mind. If one had knowledge of all the applicable supplements and TSBs for the 996 and you went to your dealer, gave them the list and asked them to check/fix any and all, would there be a charge for this? I realize that a RMS problem cannot be anticipated (or maybe it can with engine numbers.)

Just wondering out loud. :rolleyes:

• Admin

Here is my 0.02 cents worth (yes, that's less than 2 cents)...

I don't think a dealer would go through a shopping list TSB's. Let's face it, dealers are in business to make money. So lets think of their logical thought pattern: Will PCNA (or PAG) reimburse them the parts and labor cost? Yes, no problem they fix it for free. No, they tell you what it will cost. Next step is you complain to the dealer who says "we can't do anything about it" (obviously they do not want to pay for it). So, you decide you need to complain to the regional PCNA (or PAG) rep. I think this is where having a TSB for the "known" problem and a history of your cars problem and a civil temper -- may get you somewhere. PCNA (or PAG) do not want unhappy customers so at this point it becomes "is this a reasonable request" -- yes, or no. I know of a number of people that have taken this approach and got their problem solved. So, I think you can go a further with 1. a single problem; 2. pertinent facts (your car history) and; 3. knowledge supported facts (TSB) -- rather than threatening a class action law suit.

So ask yourself what is a reasonable mileage (or engine hours) that you must have before you are willing to pay for a repair such as RMS replacement. If and when Porsche decides to stop replacing RMS (and engines) then perhaps other action is needed.

End of :soapbox:

Usually you start with a complaint of a problem, i.e. something leaks or makes a noise, etc. Most of the TSB's do not effect ALL cars. A TSB on the RMS means someone should take a peak and see if its leaking. A TSB on a grinding tranny means a quick ride. If you are buying a used car, your dealer should be willing for a reasonable fee ($300) to drive it and put it on a lift to thoroughly inspect it. If they won't, call another dealer.

Loren your .02cents prognosis is spot on the nail. But......

You said "ask yourself what is a reasonable mileage (or engine hours) that you must have before you are willing to pay for a repair such as RMS replacement"

IMHO, for a car of this calibre and cost, I wouldn't expect to see such serious problems occuring in anything less than very high mileage. My car is barely 3 years old, and it hasn't clocked 26,000 miles yet. It's a baby. It's never been tracked and its been meticulously serviced by my local Porsche dealer and its garaged. I only use it at weekends. So I certainly would not expect it to be suffering anything mechanically serious. In fact at 26k, it's the last thing on my mind.

I see lots of posts complaining of clutches going at only 12000 miles. I think this is also ludicrous. Shure, if you track your car then this sort of thing can be expected but not if its a general street car. There will also, always be some problamatic cars. I have a friend who bought a new BMW 330ci. He hadn't done 100 miles in it and the engine blew up. 500 miles later the replacement engine blew up! He put his foot down and they gave him a new car. Since then he has not had a problem.

I just sold my 2.6ltr Audi A6 quattro. It had 60,000 miles on the clock. The most serious thing it had done was new front rotors. My bet is that car will do 100,000 miles and the engine will still be as good as it was when I bought it new. I expect my 996 to do better. I mean, this car is not only £65, 000 but it's also leading edge technology and German engineering at its best to boot.

So my 0.02 cents worth is this: By bringing out a TSB on this RMS problem, they have openly admited to it being a design flaw. Rest assured I will approach the dealer in a civil manner in the hope that I can coerce them into fixing it under warranty (A new engine would be real nice though :clapping: ). However, if they try to blow me a rasberry I will go up the chain. And as a last resort a class action law suit.

If my problem turns out to be the RMS, I sure hope they just go ahead and fix it under warranty. If they don't they just lost a customer. I wouldn't even think about buying another Pcar again.