Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I'm thinking about dumping my 3.6 conversion 996 and taking a huge loss. :angry:

I found a 2005 997S launch car with low miles (18K) and for a good price ($47k). It has ceramic brakes and all the goodies. Any feedback on buying a "launch" 997?

Thanks !

I've had my 'Launch Car' for close to 2.5 years. I know there is some anxiety regarding 2005 cars (ie. IMS & RMS issues) but to be honest I couldn't be happier w/ my car. I've been out of warranty since last August. I was concerned initially but these cars are pretty much rock solid. Of course s**t can happen but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Are you buying from a Porsche dealer? If so, you should press for CPO coverage. Inspect the rotors for damage (chips, cracks, etc) since they are expensive to replace.

I've got close to 18K miles on mine as well; it's pretty much a pleasure car so it doesn't see a lot of road time.

I'm pretty close to you (Hermosa Beach). If you need another pair of inspection eyes and it's fits into my schedule I'd be happy to 'look it over'. Just PM me or email ap997s@verizon.net.

Good Luck!

Edited by AP 997S

Opinions are one thing and facts are another. I don't have the stats on problems w/ MY2005 versus other years but I suspect it's pretty much the norm (my opinion).

RMS problems have been a Porsche design shortfall issue for quite sometime. New seals I'm told tend to correct the problem. I've read the new 997.2 engine design has completely resolved this problem. Time will tell.

IMS failures, once again according to what I've read, are an early MY2005 problem but I don't know the percentage of IMS failures based on the build number. Forum threads typically accentuate the negatives; no one ever creates a thread stating I've got 40K+ miles and no IMS failure.

All I can really do is relate my experience w/ my MY2005 Launch Car and that has been good.

Unless you have issues with your 996, I'd hang onto it. As I've stated before, even though I absolutely LOVE my '05 997, IMHO I think the 996's are a bit cleaner and more elegant.

I've got 37K on mine; I drive the HECK out of it, and so far, it's running like a watch. Besides, the Porsche factory seems pretty good about replacing engines with IMS failures at no charge, even though they may be out of warranty.

Thanks for the input!

355, I would like to keep my current car but it's sucking all the money out of my bank account. This one is truly a lemon. It got a clean bill of health from a reputable Porsche shop before I bought it as well. :angry:

I'm picking it up tomorrow with another $1000 bill because of leaking injectors. One more major incident and I think I'm going to set it on fire. Not for the insurance just for the pleasure of watching it burn :o

AP997, Regarding the reliability of th 05's I know that it's debatable. But even Porsche admits that there were engine issues that year. That's why they will still replace the engine out of warranty

I have a young friend who has an 05 S and he drives the h*** out of it and tracks it. He has also modded the engine with everything he could find short of a supercharger.

Mommy and Daddy have deep pockets so price is not an issue.

He has had no issues with the engine. Hopefully these engine failure discussions will be a thing of the past very soon.

Thanks for everyones input on this

Phillip

Going to look at a 2002 Turbo this weekend. We'll see..

Might just write him a check and leave mine at the side of the road with the keys in the ignition....

Edited by phillipj

Thanks for the input!

355, I would like to keep my current car but it's sucking all the money out of my bank account. This one is truly a lemon. It got a clean bill of health from a reputable Porsche shop before I bought it as well. :angry:

I'm picking it up tomorrow with another $1000 bill because of leaking injectors. One more major incident and I think I'm going to set it on fire. Not for the insurance just for the pleasure of watching it burn :o

AP997, Regarding the reliability of th 05's I know that it's debatable. But even Porsche admits that there were engine issues that year. That's why they will still replace the engine out of warranty

I have a young friend who has an 05 S and he drives the h*** out of it and tracks it. He has also modded the engine with everything he could find short of a supercharger.

Mommy and Daddy have deep pockets so price is not an issue.

He has had no issues with the engine. Hopefully these engine failure discussions will be a thing of the past very soon.

Thanks for everyones input on this

Phillip

Going to look at a 2002 Turbo this weekend. We'll see..

Might just write him a check and leave mine at the side of the road with the keys in the ignition....

Philip

Hey if the '05 turns you on, go for it. After following your 996 adventures for the last few months, I truly believe you wouldn't be happy with a Lexus type car. You need projects along with angst.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Let me know where you park the car with the keys.

BTW, my '05 is a joy w/o problems.

Edited by bolobar

yes, no facts on the 05's. i was just stating my opinion, and yes, i admitt heresay. And i'm also rooting for you to get a turbo also jmo!!!!! lol. Best of luck. You deserve a mean machine that eats highway miles after miles.

yes, no facts on the 05's. i was just stating my opinion, and yes, i admitt heresay. And i'm also rooting for you to get a turbo also jmo!!!!! lol. Best of luck. You deserve a mean machine that eats highway miles after miles.

I have an 05 launch car and had the IMS problem. Engine was replaced free of charge and I can't be happier with the car! I would buy the extended warranty just for the peace of mind.

Goodluck!

H

I have a 2005 C2S with 35,000 km on it, and to date I have had no engine problems, however after reading all the IMS issues with the 2005 models if I had the choice now I would have bought a 2006 model. Its all about luck with the 2005 models because they have the potential of failing on you.... If you do get the 2005 then make sure you have a valid warranty on it at all times just in case as a insurance policy....

Good luck...

Anyone know approximately when the launch of the 998 will be???

• 2 weeks later...