Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check Engine Light

I am new to both Porsche ownership and this forum, so please forgive my apparent ignorance to both.

I have a 1999 911 Carrera and the check engine light has just come on.

In anyones experience, what are the most common reasons for this light to come on. Could it be the spark plugs or maybe something a little more serious concerning the catalytic converter

Thanks

From what I have been seeing on Porsche forums, a typical CEL can be caused by:

- An oxygen sensor tripping due to too much/not enough air in the mix.

- A faulty MAF (again, emissions related).

If you search a bit, you will find these too. Also, if you have an AutoZone around you, they will get you the P code. The problem they tell you related to the P code may not be correct however.

A list of P codes can be found here:

P Codes

Searching these forums will be your best resource.

Good luck,

Darren

:beer:

Edited by Mitty

• Admin
I am new to both Porsche ownership and this forum, so please forgive my apparent ignorance to both.

I have a 1999 911 Carrera and the check engine light has just come on.

In anyones experience, what are the most common reasons for this light to come on. Could it be the spark plugs or maybe something a little more serious concerning the catalytic converter

Thanks

:welcome:

A CEL is not an uncommon occurence in today's cars.

Some of the most common causes of this (emissions) warning are:

a loose gas cap (or bad o-ring on the cap)

a loose oil filler cap (or bad o-ring on the cap)

These would be the first two things i would check. Make sure both are clean and secure. The CEL light can be reset by anyone with an OBD II scan tool in about 5 secs. Alternately you can disconnect the battery for about two minutes and reset it also - but you will need to re-enter the radio code and stations if you do that.

A follow up regarding the CEL light on my 1999 Carrera.

I found an AutoZone in my city, and they ran an OBD II Scan for me. It came up with error code P1531. I checked out alldatadiy.com and it lists the fault as :

Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1

Function - To increase torque and improve cylinder charging, the engine is equipped with two VarioCam actuators

I am just starting to learn about the Porsche engine, so is there anyone out there who knows how serious a problem this is ? and what steps I should take

Thanks

:help: