Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best Tires For My Everday Use

OK, please take it easy on me guys. I'm sure this is an old topic of discussion, but I'd like the best opinion from the experts so here it is. I need new tires. I'm easy on my car, never over 100 mph, mainly 85 tops, no racing, although I do enjoy a back road whenever I can. I'm not rich so I need one good set of tires for year round driving....that means some snow for a month or so a year , here in Lexington, Ky. Boxster 99. Thanks as always.... Brad

If you only have one set of tires and you have to drive in the snow then probably you want an all season tire. None of the high/max performance street tires are worth very much when the temperature drops.

Go to www.tirerack.com. They have a decision guide that factors in weather, cost, handling, etc.

Does anyone put an all-season tire on a Boxster? People buy cars for different reasons and drive them different ways. For me, all-season tires sound like they would defeat the purpose.

More than snow, the question is how many days a year below 40 degrees? If it is only a few, I'd say park it and find another way to get to work on cold days. In Albany, where winter cold lasts 4-5 months I think of winter tires as a cost saving measure as well as a safety measure, because it costs a lot less to put miles on the winter tires than to wear out my premium summer tires.

I hesitated to answer this post because everyone is entitled to thier own choices. I love a warm sunny day, top down, carving up a mountain rd - yes! Even better, carving up Watkins Glen. Putting all season tires on her feet - that's just something I wouldn't want to do.

I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my wife's 1995 Corvette. This is classified as a Ultra Hi-Performance All Season tire. You can check out the specs and reviews on the TireRack website. It ranks fairly highly in just about every category. This was the only ultra hi-performance all season tire I could find when I started looking for a replacement tire a few years ago. I my opinion these are great all-around tires. Work very well in the wet and are OK in light snow and cold, but also have hi-performance characteristics. I have never seen these tires on a Porsche but I see no reason why they would not work. I wanted a hi-performance tire that that would be useable in the light snow and cold that we get here in Chicago, as well as being a good rain tire. They fit the bill for me.

• 6 months later...
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my wife's 1995 Corvette.  This is classified as a Ultra Hi-Performance All Season tire.  You can check out the specs and reviews on the TireRack website.  It ranks fairly highly in just about every category.  This was the only ultra hi-performance all season tire I could find when I started looking for a replacement tire a few years ago.  I my opinion these are great all-around tires.  Work very well in the wet and are OK in light snow and cold, but also have hi-performance characteristics.  I have never seen these tires on a Porsche but I see no reason why they would not work.  I wanted a hi-performance tire that that would be useable in the light snow and cold that we get here in Chicago, as well as being a good rain tire.  They fit the bill for me.

Now that you have had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for a while, are you still pleased with them? I'm looking at a set for my Boxster which is consoderably different than the Corvette.

OK, please take it easy on me guys. I'm sure this is an old topic of discussion, but I'd like the best opinion from the experts so here it is.  I need new tires. I'm easy on my car, never over 100 mph, mainly 85 tops, no racing, although I do enjoy a back road whenever I can. I'm not rich so I need one good set of tires for year round driving....that means some snow for a month or so a year , here in Lexington, Ky.  Boxster 99.  Thanks as always.... Brad

I live in Michigan, and drive the car occasionally in the winter. I put Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's on my '01 S. I love 'em. Corner well, good wet traction, got them from Tirerack.

• 2 weeks later...

Cease:

The PS2s you bought, they aren't Porsche OEM 'N' spec are they? Not that I care too much but if I had my druthers, and all else being equal, I buy 'N' spec first. The only spec PS tire I could find at Tirerack was Pilot Sport Ribbed.

• 2 months later...

The pilot sport rib's are like ski's in the snow. Don't ever use them as an all year tire. But for dry and rainy conditions the PS rib's do really well. Ofcourse all these tires have very poor tread life. But I have heard a lot of good things about PS a/s. They have exceptional wear for a tire that's z rated. They are a bit pricey but I guess they would be well worth the $$$ given your (bradsjazz) driving style