Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Jump starting using a Booster (Jump) Pack

Firstly, thanks to the forum for the assistance in getting the hood (bonnet) open.

Now for the newbie question of the week: How do I jump start the car without blowing anything up ?

The manual has this wonderful diagram and instructions.... assuming that you have a spare battery and separate leads

post-6752-1251741318_thumb.jpg

but since I have one of these (Jumpncarry 660)

post-6752-1251741311.jpg

and I have no idea where to connect it ? (Henry V - I borrowed your pic of the battery bay, I hope you don't mind)

post-6752-1251741303_thumb.jpg

I've heard conflicting advice about connecting +ve to +ve & -ve to -ve (*shudder* - If only I hadn't snoozed through high school science and the class on parallel and series batteries)

So besides feeling that I am too dumb to own a "booster/jump pack" - could someone please let me know how to get the car started while minimizing the risk of destroying the electrics..

Thanks !

you should always try to charge the battery first, jumper packs might get you you started but you still have a dead battery.

jump starts are deadly to electronics

booster battery chargers are also deadly to electronics

- = negative, black

+= positive , red

plus to plus, minus to minus.

It really is that simple. And I'll confess for the last 52 years I've never bothered to do anything but connect direct to the battery. I suppose connecting the negative of the source (in this case your fancy starter pack) to some ground on the target car is safer. Probably jumped 200 cars...mostly my own run down through stupidity. I carry jumper cables in all my cars and buy them for my boys cars...the best that can be bought...long and thick.

And the red is plus on your starter pack. Black is negative.

Be prepared on a Boxster that the radio and the windows won't work right. The radio may need a code entered. The windows some training...see the owner's manual.

I'd assume you'd have some instructions with the starter pack. Don't be scared of a Porsche...it is just a car and you aren't gonna hurt it if you jump it.

I'm assuming you have access to the battery and the bonnet (front trunk lid) is up.

If your battery is dead then that 600 thing might not have enouph juice to start it. I had to leave a running truck on it for 5 min reving it to turn it over. I would suggest leaving it on for a few minuites before you try to start it. good luck

• Moderators

I remember Jim from 4 years ago when we went to Laguna Seca.

Jump starting a Boxster is no different then any other car. When the original battery on my 1997 went bad a few years ago I used one of those portable things. Also used my Toyota pickup as the donor. I even jumped a dead Jeep. Positive to positive. Negative to negative. Do not reverse or you can fry electronics.

They do not like you to go directly to the battery negative terminal in case there is a spark. They like you to find a ground on the engine or body. For example, if you trace your negative battery cable it is bolted to the fire wall. Look a few inches on the other side and you will see a nut. That is where the cable is bolted on a RHD, because on a RHD the positive and negative terminals are reversed. That nut would be a good ground point if you can get through the paint on the nut.