Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Shifting difficulty going into 1st and 2nd during warm up.

After changing my transmission oil with Amsoil 75/90, my shifting went from good to worse. After my car is warmed up, it shifts fine. I am worried that I have over filled my transmission. It was difficult for me to measure the 11mm below the edge of the fill hole, and I may have put too much it. My car may not have been perfectly level either. So, my question is am I damaging the transmission if it is indeed over filled? I am thinking about re checking my work all over again, and making sure that the oil level is exact, draining a little oil as it may be critical for smooth shifting cold and hot. This is the nicest car I've ever had and I don't want to damage the transmission.

Getting the car level(without a lift) and getting the proper gear oil level in the gearbox can be mildly difficult for the diyer. You might check the level again. When we were having shifting issues I did the following :

1)replaced trans and motor mounts- Right away, shifting was much better, even when the car was new. We could notice the drivetrain did not have nearly as much slop.

2)changed gearbox oil with Porsches factory fill- Much smoother afterwards, especially in cold mornings.

3)flushed clutch fluid- Greatly improved actuation and performance, not nearly as grabby, launch is smooth.

My next planned mod/improvement is the installation of a 997 shifter housing. Hope this helps.

regards

• Moderators
After changing my transmission oil with Amsoil 75/90, my shifting went from good to worse. After my car is warmed up, it shifts fine. I am worried that I have over filled my transmission. It was difficult for me to measure the 11mm below the edge of the fill hole, and I may have put too much it. My car may not have been perfectly level either. So, my question is am I damaging the transmission if it is indeed over filled? I am thinking about re checking my work all over again, and making sure that the oil level is exact, draining a little oil as it may be critical for smooth shifting cold and hot. This is the nicest car I've ever had and I don't want to damage the transmission.

Then I would get the Amsoil out of it and put the factory fill in; Porsche uses a rather unique gear oil spec that no one seems to have a match for. As the factory stuff is a full synthetic, available and not all that expensive if you shop around; why use another oil that may or may not be compatible with some of the gearbox components...............

• 4 weeks later...

Getting the level right is as prescribed in my manual is laughable... I just invented somthing every body uses allready. Just get a cheap little fluid evacuator and make a little hard elbow at the tubes end that extends down 11mm. When the pump starts sucking air, your done.

Though It's crude, one method I heard of has to take th prize; do some geometry and figure out exactly where and how high to jack one side of your car opposite the fill plug. When it starts to spill out, it should be very close. To really be accurate you'd probably need to figure a way to male your angle is pretty exacting.

I've seen whole race teams running third party gear oils. Ist and 2nd always seems to show up abnormalities when cold. I am going to guess that these racing oils are dialed in to really outperform Porsche juice under track conditions when all is good and hot. Porsche probably compromised they're formulation to shift smoothly at cold temps to the detriment of high temp, high stress performance situations. It's a trade off, just like a suspension, seat padding,etc.

Regards, PK

Edited by pk2