Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire Age

I just recently had a flat tire and unfortunately the interior side wall showed damage. I have replaced both rear tires with Nokian NRZi (265/35-18). The tires are W speed rated however I don't track the car and am willing to not have the Z rating. These were the only choice I had at the tire dealer other than waiting 3 or 4 days to get new tires. I did ask how old the tires were and I was told they were 1 year old, so I went ahead with them. I get home and check the manufacturers date stamped on the tire and they were made during the 38th week of 2002. The tires are 7 years old however never beed used or mounted before. I have no idea on the storage they may have had. Porsche recommendation is not to use tires over 6 years old. Would you use these tires? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Hookoo3

2001 Boxster S

Go get your money back, pronto. Since they outright lied to you, you've got a pretty good case. But you're gonna need replacements, so you'll have to think this through. One possibility - call them and tell them you are returning the tires because they misrepresented the age. Once they agree to take them back, go to a reputable tire dealer and get new tires. Deliver the old ones to the crook- ...uh... I mean creative tire dealer, and get your money back. Good luck.

heavens, a dishonest tire dealer?....

I always thought 4 years was the beginning of the end, but, 4,6 whatever. Maybe not so fast sitting on a shelf though. Your tires are really tortured just rolling straight down the highway at say 35. Every thing is constantly flexing and generating heat and hardening, not to mention the effects of UV and hot pavement. As I understand it, it is reformulating the molecular configuration, sort of like work hardening. So, it's not just tread but but the composition of the tire that also takes a beating... But still...

I would not give your tires back pronto but make arrangements with the joker pronto, for your good reason. Site BBB, ASA, etc standards if you have to. Line up the new tires you really want (preferably elsewhere). and get them on before you return anything.

Regards PK

Edited by pk2

The email response I recieved back from Nokian Tyres , North America " I strongly suggest that you return those to place of purchase ASAP! All the oils that's used to produce those tires are probably dried out and can be extremely dangerous."

The tire dealer has now fully refunded my purchase and I have ordered new tires for replacement. Lesson learned- do your own checking prior to purchase. A little bit of inconvenience for me however I'll now have a bit more safety. Thanks.