Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Multi function display fades out

Hi

My turbo multi function display screen started to fade out untimely more than one year ago and eventually became completely black 8-6 months ago.

I changed one of the two red transformers in the cluster (the upper one if I remember correctly) 5 months ago and it works like a charm.

Am I correct in assuming this is the multi-color display? That display is apparently completely different then the S cluster.

• 2 weeks later...

Would you be willing to find out where they buy their screens from? They might not be willing to tell you straight up, but by asking some indirect questions you might be able to figure it out though. I would like to have another one as a back up.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I have repaired my multi function display. Make note it is the Turbo version I am talking about.

Please follow this thread for full repair instructions.

This should cost you only about 50 US dollars including the DHL from China for a 3 day delivery of the transformer needed.

You also need to know how to solder the transformer instead of the malfunctioned one. I took it to a computer repair guy in Queensway market in London who only charged me 40 pounds sterling.

I am not a mechanic and this took me about 2 hours to solve (plus some since I had to take the unit to the pc repair man to solder the transformer onto the motherboard of the dashboard.

Click here to follow the solution:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/42373-porsche-cayenne-turbo-main-dashboard-digital-display-repair/

ENJOY,...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

My turbo multi function display screen started to fade out untimely more than one year ago and eventually became completely black 8-6 months ago.

I changed one of the two red transformers in the cluster (the upper one if I remember correctly) 5 months ago and it works like a charm.

I was wondering if you can please share more details on the replacement part, where you got it from and any issues encountered when doing the replacement. I have the same issue and the local dealer wants 3k for the new panel and install.

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

2004 Cayenne S with 85,000 miles in hot South Florida. Having the exact same problem....which explains why I am here reading all of this. I think you can count me in if you are able to get a group discount. Appreciate everyone's time and details.

• 3 months later...

Hi My turbo multi function display screen started to fade out untimely more than one year ago and eventually became completely black 8-6 months ago. I changed one of the two red transformers in the cluster (the upper one if I remember correctly) 5 months ago and it works like a charm.

Any special tools require to remove the gauge cluster out from the car. I remember saw a write up about the cluster process but still a bit lost? Any guide or pointer? I don't want to break anything. My turbo muti color display been dark for almost 2 months now.

I was wondering if you can please share more details on the replacement part, where you got it from and any issues encountered when doing the replacement. I have the same issue and the local dealer wants 3k for the new panel and install.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply, didn't noticed your question. I bought it from codecard.lt, as the part was hard to find at the time when the repair was done. No issues encountered, just unmounted the tacho from the car (the longest part), carrefully removed the old transformer with cutters while desoldering.

Soldered the new transformer and everything works fine since two years.

Any special tools require to remove the gauge cluster out from the car. I remember saw a write up about the cluster process but still a bit lost? Any guide or pointer? I don't want to break anything. My turbo muti color display been dark for almost 2 months now.

No special tool needed, I used masking tape with plastic tool to not mark the leather. Here is a guide you can use to unmound your tacho:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutorials/article/172-turbo-lcd-gaugeinstrument-cluster-upgrade-walkthrough-for-cayennes/

Edited by anubis

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, thanks for all your posts on this topic.  My 06 Cayenne S has this MFD fading issue and thinking about trying to replace it.  My biggest concern is the "clips" that hold the panels on.  In my experience, working with clips never turns out well and I end up never getting a good fit again.  Anyone run into this issue or are these clips pretty easy to re-align and set the panels tightly? 

• 9 months later...

I just picked up a non-turbo Cayenne. I have owned a few cars from the 90s that have had similar issues with their clusters or displays. The fix was almost always buying a new screen or ribbon cable as it was the contact points that caused the display to fade out, or pixels to not display properly.  

It looks like the screen is integrated with the ribbon cable, so the screen/cable would need to be replaced. After reading through this article, it looks like buying a screen like this isn't really an option, as no one makes it.

I was an avionics technician, certified micro-miniature electronics repair and I currently work as a PCB designer. I don't know if anyone is still interested in a solution for this screen problem, but I'm going to fix my display. I'll try to take some pictures along the way as well as possibly offer to fix other displays depending on if it's feasibility of it all. 

• 5 months later...