Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

3 quick questions.. 04 Cayenne S rattle/noise/wobble

Hey folks,

I have been a nut for Porsche since I was old enough to know what a car was, and realize there was a difference between them . I wanted a 911 but it's just not practical with two kids in cars seats. so....

I recently picked up a really clean 2004 Cayenne S with 55k. The car is fantastic and I'm totally blown away with the performance but I have a couple of minor issues I was hoping to get some info/opinion on.

1. There seems to be some kind of knocking in the center console. Sounds like AC flaps/servos/ motors opening or closing. If I change the airflow from top to bottom or some variation it will go away for a while. I really notice it when I turn the car on before the ac kicks in. I think I read something in a thread about flap servo's or something like that. Any ideas how to diagnose or fix the problem?

2. There is a rattle/squeak somewhere in the dash. It sound like it's coming from somewhere in the middle up towards the windshield. I notice it sometimes more than others. if I push on the dash (toward the front of the car) it seems to go away for a while or lighten up a bit. Any known issues with these? Can I fix it myself? will a dealer fix it without charging a ton of money(yeah right lol) any ideas?

3. Finally.... The car rides like its on rails up to about 70 mph or so. Then I start to notice a little vibration that I really feel in the drivers seat (but not in the steering wheel) and if I look at the empty passenger seat it looks like it's vibrating (very easy to see) The tires have quite a bit of good life left but I think that's the problem. Perhaps they have worn a bit uneven? out of balance a bit? Although up to about 65-70mph it's like glass so I'm not sure what to check

I love this car and would love to figure out these minor issues. any help or suggestions are MUCH APPRECIATED!

regards,

John

Edited by jplumlee

The recirculating door can make a thud when closing, try turning it off and on and see if that is the noise. I've not come across any problems with dash squeaks or rattles so can't help out there. If the tires have even wear patterns I would just get them road forced balanced to clear up the vibration problem.

Oh.. and welcome to the forum.

all 3 issues? wouldn't that be a coincidence...if not which ones? I absolutely love the car but id sure like to figure these things out.

Hi John,

I too recently picked up an 04 CS, with similar mileage, and have identical issues.

I can't help you..but hopefully we can get some attention on this forum

hello,

As I eluded to in my first post, I did find a few things about the flap/servo noise, but nothing definitive. And I didn't really find anything at all about the vibrating that occurs at higher speeds (above 70mph or so)

sorry for asking questions that may have been addressed before. However I did search before I posted but not much came up.

thanks I'll try again.

Folks - please do a SEARCH of the Cayenne section here -- these have all been covered in detail.

ok... So when I read the relevant threads all I see is a lot of complaining about the vibrations, but not much in the way of actual resolution. Has Porsche ever owned up to a design or part problem? Has anyone actually figured out for SURE what is to blame? Everything I've read about the "vibration" is mostly speculation with a few lucky ones that fixed it with tire/rim/balance. What about the ones where the problem remains? Is this Cardan shaft (whatever that is) to blame?

I do have an extended warranty with my 04 CS and wouldn't hesitate to use it if Porsche had a fix for it. Same goes for the squeaking dash or rattling ac vent thingamajigs.

Still looking for some guidance! thanks in advance

John

So how should I describe the vibration problem to them(service)? is it common enough that they will say "Oh yes... we know what that is" Or am I going to have to convince them there's a problem before they'll take me and my issue seriously. I will probably take it to Park Place Porsche or Boardwalk Porsche here in Dallas. Or is there another place someone from DFW could recommend? I'm actually up in Sherman, about 45 min north of Plano. thanks!

Tires (#1 cause), Cardan/drive shaft, front trailing arms.

Since you have a warranty - use it.