Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Do I need wheel spacers?

OK, so I have yet another issue...

I have a 2000 Porsche boxster which I have recently took the 19" Lobster Claw wheels off of to have powdercoated. The rears had 265/30/ZR19 tires on them.

The car had these wheels on it when I purchased it so it never occurred to me that i might need wheel spacers for these. However when I took the tires off they were worn to the wire on the inside but still fairly healthy on the outside (see pic). Originally I thought it was that the camber? was off angling the wheel inward at the top (I apologize for not using the correct terminology). But another user here on Renntech suggested it looked as thought the tires were rubbing something...??? I looked around the wheel well and didn't see anything that looked like it had been rubbed.

Im also not sure I want to put wheel spacers on the car as the tires on it are already pretty wide and have the aggressive stance that i like... with spacers will the tires be too far outside the well?? And will the handling really improve?

So I guess my question simply put would be, do these wheels require a spacer?

Thanks again Renntech, I dont know what id do without you!

-Ben

post-49300-1255912565_thumb.jpg

It might be rubbing under spring compression (i.e. bumps and potholes).

Porsche does not recommend 19" wheels on 986 series cars and on the 987 series cars they are 265/35 x19 (not 265/30).

Loren,

Interesting, I suppose this may be why Porsche doesnt recommend the 19"...

The tires that were on the rims were actually 265/30! The previous owner may have installed the wrong size on the rim?? is the 30 instead of the 35 going to have an adverse affect?

Also the tires mounted on the front were 225/35/ZR19, is that the correct size for the front?

Would spacers help in eliminating rubbing under compression if that is in fact the issue?

Thanks Again,

-Ben

Maybe spacers will help - if it is an offset problem. You did not say the wheel offset.

But if it is a rebound problem then they won't help a tire that is too tall.

hmmm, im unsure of my offset, is offset standard per wheel\car or specific to an individual car?

I dont currently have the rims so I cant measure it out myself...

Respectfully,

-Ben

You are most likely rubbing something as Loren stated. I have 18x10's on the back of my car with an offset of et 47...my clearance to the shock tower is minimal and I needed to tie back the e-brake cables to eliminate rubbing.

The wheel size and offset will be stamped inside the wheels...check them before you remount. A small spacer may solve your problem, but may also push the wheel out far enough that it hits the outer fender lip.

Edited by jmatta

If you're running a 10" wide wheel, the offset needs to be around 43mm to 48mm. The offset should be marked on your wheels. If you have say, an ET50, say like my BBS wheels, and you add a 5mm spacer, as I had to do, you wind up at 45mm offset. Even still, I had to tie back the e-brake cables.

OK, sounds like a plan... Ill update as soon as i get the wheels back, should be sometime in the next few days.

I think you need to consder that the suspension noise you've been hearing might actually be these 19" tires hitting something on bumps.

I suppose its possible, but the suspension noise has been relatively new, I've had these wheels/tires on the car since i purchased it two years ago.

I will be putting the rear smaller stock rims and tires on the car while I wait for the new tires I ordered to get here. Ill see if I still hear the suspension noise with those on.

It is an offset problem.

Im running a set of 18x11 on the rear,,,

wasn't rubbing while she is parked, but rubs with more weight in the car + hard cornering.

Ended up installing s set of H&R 7mm spacers.

post-23680-1256154691.jpg

Good to know! Ill order a set of the 7mm's.

Did you get the Eibach? H&R?

Did you have to buy longer wheel studs??

Thanks,

-ben

"Im running a set of 18x11 on the rear"

How did you get 11s to fit the rear? What is your car's ride height?

From what I've seen, to clear the inner shock tube, you'd push the outers out far enough to hit the fender lip, unless you did some major massaging.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're running a 10" wide wheel, the offset needs to be around 43mm to 48mm. The offset should be marked on your wheels. If you have say, an ET50, say like my BBS wheels, and you add a 5mm spacer, as I had to do, you wind up at 45mm offset. Even still, I had to tie back the e-brake cables.

Cloudsurfer,

So if I have a wheel with an offset of 50mm and I add a 7mm spacer, it would bring the offset back to 43mm. Is that correct? I have 99 Boxster and got a great deal on a new set of Turbo knock-offs. The seller advertised that it fits Boxster as well as 996 but when I installed, the rears are right up against the strut. It was obvious that I need spacers so I am trying to figure out what size. The wheels are 18X10 ET50. The tires mounted on them are 225/40/18 and 265/35/18. The front seems to fit fine with no clearance issue.

Thanks for your insight in advanced,

Hung

It is an offset problem.

Im running a set of 18x11 on the rear,,,

wasn't rubbing while she is parked, but rubs with more weight in the car + hard cornering.

Ended up installing s set of H&R 7mm spacers.

post-23680-1256154691.jpg

So I got the 7mm H&R's, I installed them a few days ago along with the longer bolts and I havent noticed any rubbing.

What were your rear tires rubbing against?

-ben

• 1 year later...

225/35-19 and 265/30-19 are the correct sizes for a 986 running 19' wheels.

These make the overall height exactly the same as the original 18's.

The factory used 19" wheels on 987's and they used slightly taller tires

(40 frt and 35 series rear). The stock 986's tires were a size shorter than

on the stock 987.

I have 19 x 8.5 and 19x10 wheels on my 986 with no issues whatsoever.

RUFWHEELS051.jpgRUFWHEELS053.jpg

Edited by 986fan