Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do I log data so it displays user friendly info

I have Durametric software that has many sensors that can be read either real time on my laptop or also logged to an excel spreadsheet.

Problem 1. I don't know enough about what is a 'good' number or a 'bad' number for some of these sensor readings.

Problem 2. Under what conditions should I record this info? IE. A short drive at different RPM's or just idle for a few minutes after coming up to operating temp's in the driveway?

Some conditions such as cockpit/outside temp's are silly while others such as O2 sensor volts (which I had a previous fault code for) may mean something. The software records up to 8 sensors at a time before you have to start another file name to maintain the cell names for each sensor. To make it easy, which are the 8 sensors that would give you an idea of the health of your engine? I didn't count them but there appears to be over 20 sensors that it can read in total.

If someone can give me an idea of what is the best testing situation to use, (a short drive or idle) I could post the excel file here for comments.

Right now the only problem I have is a start up idle too low issue (it wavers up and down from 400-600) that goes away in about a minute or so once the temp gauge appears to be moving upward. No CEL's but an old code concerning P0150/P0130 - something about voltage ahead of the cat's. I've cleared the codes and will drive the car for a few days and then recheck.

Thanks

Edited by torontoworker

Codes mean there is a problem with

– Oxygen sensor

– Wiring harness

– ECM

So if only one of these codes were present, I'd say the first thing to do is borrow someone's O2 sensor and swap it in and see if the symptoms change. Even one someone took out because they were replacing in pairs when only one was bad would be a help in diagnosing. Check the wiring too to make sure it isn't frayed or a connection loose. Since the signal from the O2 sensor is used by the ECU to regulate the air/fuel mixture during the cold period of a start, it could well explain the problem with idle. Something as simple as the sensor not working until it gets warm.

But you have 2 codes and they point to different banks of the engine though to the same parts/problems and the likely hood of both failing at once is a bit far fetched. But if one has been failing for a while it cause the other to fail. Or it could be they both are just old and need replacement. Mine lasted 55k miles or so.

Always post the model year and miles on the car when posting a problem as it often matters re a diagnosis as the version of the firmware changes over the model years.

More on the sensors including prices and sources. No need to buy the Porsche branded part or visit a dealer to replace them.

I run a DashDaq hooked up to my OBD port and log

speed

RPM

Intake air temp

Spark Adv

MAF

Coolant temp

I dont have any base runs to offer (I'm in an 04 C4S)-but someone here might to use a comparo-

I log everytime I get in the car-so if something does happen, I have the last drive info for diagnostics-

I also set warnings for low collant temp (and high), IAT, Speed, RPM shift points, ect (blue is low, green is good, orange/Red is high).

I've only had the car for 2 weeks and have 6 files so far-now I need to build an xcl sheet to compare info (I'll share that when its done).