Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ipod Connection for Carrera 4S

• Admin

Porsche sells an option Music Player Interface for the 997-1.

The kit is: 997.044.901.77 -- US MSRP $394.98

"The music player interface has the following main features:

• Discrete installation position in the center console storage bin

• Connection for external music players (iPod®, MP3 player, etc.)

• Standard connection socket for 3.5-mm jack plug

• Battery charge function for the iPod®

• Volume control via PCM

• Music tracks can be selected using an external music player

The standard plug socket in the center console storage bin is no longer used when the music player interface is installed."

There is a TSB here (available to our Contributing Members) on how to install the kit.

I installed a Dension ipod adapter in my 2005 CarreraS. I leave my ipod plugged in, in the trunk all the time. It allows control of the ipod from the PCM. If you do a search, I am sure there are some posts on it. John

I installed a Dension ipod adapter in my 2005 CarreraS. I leave my ipod plugged in, in the trunk all the time. It allows control of the ipod from the PCM. If you do a search, I am sure there are some posts on it. John

John, many thanks for your response. Wich Dension model you installed?

John, many thanks for your response. Wich Dension model you installed?

We can help you with the Dension....email me or visit us at BumperPlugs.com

eric@bumperplugs.com

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hi Loren,

I just bought the 997-044-901-77 kit for my 2006 997.1 C2S...and was reading the thread above. I couldn't locate the installation instructions. Seems there was a link above, but that it's gone. Any idea which iPod will work completely/correctly with this kit?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mark, Dubai.

• Admin

Hi Loren,

I just bought the 997-044-901-77 kit for my 2006 997.1 C2S...and was reading the thread above. I couldn't locate the installation instructions. Seems there was a link above, but that it's gone. Any idea which iPod will work completely/correctly with this kit?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mark, Dubai.

Contributing Members only (which you are)...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=1421

• Upvote 1

Thanks again. I'll take it to the dealer for installation and revert - it looks complicated, and I don't have the patience, tools, or eyes, plus it's getting warm here already.

Picked it up from a guy who never installed it in his 2007 S ($320) - the fool kept his Aston Martin DB9 instead (and told me the 911 never skipped a beat and that the Aston is frequently at the shop).

I have a Dension 500 in my 2005 997S. I've had it now for close to 5 years; never a problem w/ it. More versatile then the Porsche Kit (IMHO) and is fully integrated w/ the PCM. I have a 15 gb IPOD attached to it full time. Looks like its easier to install if you keep your IPOD in the trunk (using the IPOD clips supplied w/ the Dension).

Hi Loren,

So I just returned from the dealer where they installed the 997-044-901-70 kit for me. My kit has an iPod connection cable and a mini audio female too. Do you know if mine is supposed to charge the iPod too? It says so in the manual that came with it, but we only had an iPhone for testing and it wouldn't charge that...I like the cleanliness of the kit (and that it's OEM, but part + install is not cheap if it won't charge the iPod). Maybe I should've opted for the 997-044-901-77 version or the Dension kit all things considered.

Hi Loren,

The manual that came with it says that it's supposed to charge the iPod (it doesn't specify which model). I have since tried 2 different iPods, and it's charging neither. The dealer also called me back today confirming that it won't charge iPods (something about this not being possible with PCM 2.1). Either way, I fee like I got s_____d. I basically paid $500 for 2 stupid plugs in the car. Instead, i should've bought a new 64GB iPod, FM transmitter (for it), and car charger (for it), and it would've been a cleane, simpler, and cheaper set-up, plus I would've had a brand new iPod to boot. I will lodge a complaint with Porsche for this misinformation. Otherwise, I LOVE everything about my 911...

• 2 weeks later...

Update: after some back/forth with local Porsche dealer, it became clear that the unit WILL charge certian iPods/iPhones (e.g. iPhone v3), but definitely not all (and not the latest version). I am happier, but this was certainly not the ideal solution. In retrospect, I should've just bought an FM modulator with charging facility for a new IPod, and been much happier...for less $ than I spent.