Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Desnorkled a 2003 Boxster S along with a cool exhaust mod.

I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster S. Yesterday, I opened the engine compartment for the first time to check out my air filter. When I pulled out the air filter, I realized it had NEVER been changed. The foam had dry rotted and was clogging up over half of the filter. I didn't have a replacement, so I removed all of the bad foam, blew it all out with an air compressor and reinstalled until the new K&N gets here. From there, I desnorkled it. I then did the exhaust mod where you drill 2 1/2" holes in the inner part of each the exhaust pipes before they exit the muffler.

Wooooohooooooo this thing sounds awesome. Quiet when cruising and mean as h___ when you punch it. I love it.

I'll attach an mp3 for those interested I had an iPhone in my lap to record it.

car.mp3

I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster S. Yesterday, I opened the engine compartment for the first time to check out my air filter. When I pulled out the air filter, I realized it had NEVER been changed. The foam had dry rotted and was clogging up over half of the filter. I didn't have a replacement, so I removed all of the bad foam, blew it all out with an air compressor and reinstalled until the new K&N gets here. From there, I desnorkled it. I then did the exhaust mod where you drill 2 1/2" holes in the inner part of each the exhaust pipes before they exit the muffler.

Wooooohooooooo this thing sounds awesome. Quiet when cruising and mean as h___ when you punch it. I love it.

car.mp3

I just did that exhaust mod on my 2000 Boxster, but I punched out 3 3/4 inch holes on each side. It sounds perfect and not to loud. I noticed when I put bigger holes in the exhaust, it sounded less "airy" and more natural.

car.mp3

I just did that exhaust mod on my 2000 Boxster, but I punched out 3 3/4 inch holes on each side. It sounds perfect and not to loud. I noticed when I put bigger holes in the exhaust, it sounded less "airy" and more natural.

Do the larger holes make it louder or do they just change the tone?

i read about this mod but i could not figure out how deep to drill...do you guys have any pictures or a specific length on how far in you actually drill, and at what angle do you drill in? Thanks for the help just dont want to mess up my muffler...

car.mp3

Do the larger holes make it louder or do they just change the tone?

It makes it a little louder, but not much. I first punched 2 1/2" holes, but it sounded like a honda (it sounded like more air was exiting rather than exhaust, like a fart lol). I then made them bigger and added 1 more, and will add another. IT sounds great. Its not to loud, but gives an aggressive tone.

Ohh and BTW, I didnt use a drill, it kept slipping, I even dropped the bit down the muffler (was hard to get out). I used a 1' punch and a hammer :). Worked a lot better, and I didnt need to remove the tip.

i read about this mod but i could not figure out how deep to drill...do you guys have any pictures or a specific length on how far in you actually drill, and at what angle do you drill in? Thanks for the help just dont want to mess up my muffler...

Again, I used a punch. There isn't really any specs for this mod, just do it and find out. Take a chance :)

I figure, if I broke my muffler, ill just get an aftermarket, its what I intended in the first place.

I did 3 3/4" holes on each side.

Edited by theitalianflip

car.mp3

Sound clip sounds good! Thanks.

Regards, Maurice.

car.mp3

Here is a photo of the exhaust for anyone interested. There is another hole about 2 inches from that one. You cant see it in the photo. I will probably add a third. I don't want it to sound like a Honda for goodness sakes. ha.

post-49636-1257389344_thumb.jpg

car.mp3

Here is a photo of the exhaust for anyone interested. There is another hole about 2 inches from that one. You cant see it in the photo. I will probably add a third. I don't want it to sound like a Honda for goodness sakes. ha.

This appears to be an interesting mod (good result, costs nothing). Has anyone learned if it has any neg effect on the exhaust flow etc that can goof up power, etc?? My 2.7 is kinda quiet, but I don't want to take the chance of sounding "honda" or toooo loud either.

There must be some write up on this mod somewhere, but I've been reading this forum (and others) for 2 yrs and this is the first time I've heard of the mod.

Thanks, Bob

car.mp3

This appears to be an interesting mod (good result, costs nothing). Has anyone learned if it has any neg effect on the exhaust flow etc that can goof up power, etc?? My 2.7 is kinda quiet, but I don't want to take the chance of sounding "honda" or toooo loud either.

There must be some write up on this mod somewhere, but I've been reading this forum (and others) for 2 yrs and this is the first time I've heard of the mod.

Thanks, Bob

I had found this mod on another forum, I don't remember where and there were quite a few people that had done it. From what everyone else had said, it doesn't adversely effect the engine. I haven't noticed any issues. When I did it, I was like you, I wanted some sound, but I didn't want it to sound like it had a fart can on it. Ha. I thought that if I didn't like it, I could always seal the holes with some JB Weld. I'd say it sounds great. It gives it a little more low end rumble, but doesn't really make it much louder. It's not as loud as a high performance exhaust. Desnorkeling it added more sound I think than the exhaust.