Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Porsche outdoor car cover usage...

I just purchased an OEM outdoor car cover for my 997.2 (I'm posting here as there may be more people with this type of cover). The thing comes inside a large flat zipped envelope and is permanently attached to it inside. Is it supposed to be used with the envelope attached to it? Won't the zipper scratch the paint?

It also has a couple of black thin ribbons terminated by a loop inside a plastic cylinder. The ribbons are towards the front at hood level. What are these things for?

Thanks for your comments and experience with this product.

• Admin
I just purchased an OEM outdoor car cover for my 997.2 (I'm posting here as there may be more people with this type of cover). The thing comes inside a large flat zipped envelope and is permanently attached to it inside. Is it supposed to be used with the envelope attached to it? Won't the zipper scratch the paint?

It also has a couple of black thin ribbons terminated by a loop inside a plastic cylinder. The ribbons are towards the front at hood level. What are these things for?

Thanks for your comments and experience with this product.

How about a picture or two.

This sounds very different than covers I have seen.

I had the same cover by accident, dealer ordered wrong cover,

The Zipper at the driver side rear corner was scary!!

I didn't get the attached bag either, it layed on the windshield if I remember right.

I installed once and rebagged and got the soft cover.

Problem with the soft cover is on the front it has the Porsche logo and on the rear it has Porsche across the back, front it O.K. but the back is to much advertisement for me .

Now it is in my trunk in its neat little bag.

Darn Covers !!

Kirk

Below are shots of the cover (OEM Part No. 997-044-000-11) in various unfolding states. It is actually a neat design. The envelope and zipped cover can be tucked in the windshield. I do not think that the zipper in the rear is a problem - in my unit it is fully protected by a fabric flap and does not touch the body. Like any cover it is easier to put in place and remove with 2 people, but this design is far easier to put on than most as it self aligns.

Experience from people who actually used it is welcome.

OEMcover-1.jpg

OEMcover-2.jpg

OEMcover-3.jpg

OEMcover-4.jpg

Edited by ADias

Below are shots of the cover (OEM Part No. 997-044-000-11) in various unfolding states. It is actually a neat design. The envelope and zipped cover can be tucked in the windshield. I do not think that the zipper in the rear is a problem - in my unit it is fully protected by a fabric flap and does not touch the body. Like any cover it is easier to put in place and remove with 2 people, but this design is far easier to put on than most as it self aligns.

Experience from people who actually used it is welcome.

OEMcover-1.jpg

OEMcover-2.jpg

OEMcover-3.jpg

OEMcover-4.jpg

I have the same cover and cut the bag away from the cover to address the issue of potentially scratching the car with it. I believe the thought was you'd never lose the cover that way but am not sure and in any event thought it prudent to detach one from the other. As for the little black strap looking things they are used with the locking cable and lock to hold the cover on in windy weather. I use mine in as an indoor cover during the winter months when the weather is too nasty to drive my car.

• 6 years later...

I just got an outdoor cover (997-044-000-03) for my 2007 997.1 2S. It is so tight that I can't get it over the mirrors, and I thought I was going to rip it, and I stopped trying that. Figuring forget about trying to fit it over the mirrors, I would put it on and zip it up. Nope, I ripped the seam out trying to zip the cover on!! Not good. Called the dealership where I bought it and told them that they need to show me how to put it on - and order a new. 

Edited by jdb997

I just got an outdoor cover (997-044-000-03) for my 2007 997.1 2S. It is so tight that I can't get it over the mirrors, and I thought I was going to rip it, and I stopped trying that. Figuring forget about trying to fit it over the mirrors, I would put it on and zip it up. Nope, I ripped the seam out trying to zip the cover on!! Not good. Called the dealership where I bought it and told them that they need to show me how to put it on - and order a new. 

Not sure if this helps you or not, I've never used the outdoor cover, but I've used my indoor cover many-many times. I always start in the middle, and hook in the mirrors FIRST, then drape over the front/back and then finish draping over the front/back. So, mirrors first, not last. This may have been your kryptonite.

Not sure if this helps you or not, I've never used the outdoor cover, but I've used my indoor cover many-many times. I always start in the middle, and hook in the mirrors FIRST, then drape over the front/back and then finish draping over the front/back. So, mirrors first, not last. This may have been your kryptonite.

White987S, 

I started with the mirrors. Obviously got the first mirror on, but couldn't get the cover over the second mirror. The material doesn't stretch much if at all.  My understanding is that the indoor cover will stretch.