Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Check tiptronic fluid level

2005 997 55K miles tip. Is it possible to check the tiptronic fluid level myself? The owners manual doesn't say how to do it, and searching here didn't come up with anything. It seems like something that should be easily doable, but everything indicates to the contrary. Shifting is a bit rough lately and I want to make sure the tip fluid level isn't low

Sorry, you will need a PIWIS and and ATF charging unit to top up the Tiptronic.

Thanks, Loren. I was afraid it wasn't something I would be able to check, but thought I'd ask. The dealer is expecting me in the morning already, but was hoping there was some way to figure it out on my own.

Took the car in this morning. Tech hooked up the PIWIS and no faults showing. Said no way to check tip fluid level with the PIWIS. PIWIS will give tip fluid temperature, but need to open fill hole and check level with the fluid cool. Above a certain temperature (something like 25°C), the fluid is too hot and it expands a lot when heated. Clunks don't show up with the PIWIS.

I'll keep an eye on it, but they sent me on my way ($0 for all the mechanic time) until the next service. If there is a way to check the tiptronic fluid with the PIWIS, please let me know the steps. The mechanic, service writer and I always kid each other about info on the internet and it's always good to tell the head mechanic how to do things he doesn't know about

The maintenance schedule has the tip transmission oil, ATF filter and tip transmission final drive oil being changed at 120K miles or 12 years (up from the previous model years), but that seems like a long time to go with the original ATF fluid, especially for stop and go driving and lots of canyon driving. Given that preventative maintenance is less costly than repairs, and Porsche seems to have stretched the maintenance intervals starting in 2005 (it was back down to 108K miles for the 2008 model), I'm planning to change the ATF and filter at the upcoming 60K service

• 1 year later...

I know that the Mk1 996's with ZF automatics and the 987 Cayman/Boxster S 3.4L use LT71141 ATF. What do the 997's use? The same as the Mk2 996's?

Is the 997 Tiptronic Mercedes Benz based too?

Sorry, you will need a PIWIS and and ATF charging unit to top up the Tiptronic.