Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need your opinion on PASM and Multi-Function Steering Wheel,

I'm trying to spec up an 2010 C4, PDK with sport chrono. Blue tooth, Nav and Bose are standard on Australian spec 911s.

What I'm not sure is whether PASM and Multi-Function Steering Wheel are necessary options?

It'll be my daily driver and I don't plan to track the car that often, maybe once or twice a year max.

The standad ride height of an AUS spec non-PASM 911 is not that bad (I read somewhere US 911s are higher?). Here is a pic,

19814815.jpg

As for the M/F steering wheel, I'm not if its that desirable since the PCM unit is already located quite close?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by panameras

You'll want PASM for the track. The car will corner better and faster with that option than without. The car will be more tossable on the street, too.

Yes I'm aware of the stiffer setting of PASM would be great for track work. But like I said I'd only track the car once or twice a year (if any), so I'm not sure if that justifies paying extra for the PASM?

What about ride quality? Some of the roads I use to travel to work are pretty bad. Which is better, stock suspension or PASM "normal" mode?

Edited by panameras

You want PASM for daily driving. PASM on the .2 generation is just about perfect. And you'll mostly use it in normal mode on the street. The std non-PASM suspension is far more punishing over expansion joints and broken pavement. PASM Normal is not a limo suspension but it does control sharp changes quite well.

Edited by ADias

Didn't have multifunction wheel on my 06 and got it on my 09, was used to it on my other cars and use it quite a bit.

Have had pasm on both and the 09 is a bit stiffer in normal ride, but I am used to it now.

No regrets on either!

I have both PASM and the multi function wheen on my boxster. The MF wheel was a retro fit , so this can be added later if you change your mind. As to PASM , I'm not convinced its necessary and most drivers rarely use it on the road. The dampers are liable to failure and expensive to replace ( As I found out to my own cost) as they cannot be repaired. Porsche do not cover PASM dampers as part of any extended warranty so think about this before you spec them. I have driven cars with standard suspension with the same wheel size as my own car ( I have optional 19" wheels) and found the suspesnion to be better sprung than PASM in normal mode. I don't live in an area with exceptional roads and do most of my driving on the B roads in the countryside rather than motorways , I would suggest the suspesnion gets a good work out on every trip. In sport mode the car does feel more responsive to steering inputs but tends to be more nervous over bumps and the ride is far from comfortable. Its worth being aware that the anti roll bars are different sizes on standard versus PASM cars to compensate for the stiffer spring/ damper rates found on PASM. Therefore the anti roll bar is smaller I believe on the PASM car. Bilstein (who make the porsche damptronic PASM dampers) also offer aftermarket kits which are adjustable for ride height and can be controlled in damper setting by the driver similar to PASM.

As to the multi function wheel its only really worth speccing if you use the navigation and USB for music. The thumbwheel control allows effortless zoom of the map when driving , something really helpful when in town. The Thumbwheel is also great for scrolling through long music lists found on USB / I pods. The MF wheel will also allow for a mute function on the music and to make and recieve call , though personally I find the OBC stalk works better for this , as finding last number called and favourite numbers is easier using the stalk / instrument display.

If I bought a new car, I would think carefully about speccing PASM and PCM as I beleive there are better and cheaper alternatives to the Porsche systems. A sports exhaust PSE would probably be a must have , especially as the new Dfi engines appear to have lost more of the soulful sound of the flat six.

I'm trying to spec up an 2010 C4, PDK with sport chrono. Blue tooth, Nav and Bose are standard on Australian spec 911s.

What I'm not sure is whether PASM and Multi-Function Steering Wheel are necessary options?

It'll be my daily driver and I don't plan to track the car that often, maybe once or twice a year max.

The standad ride height of an AUS spec non-PASM 911 is not that bad (I read somewhere US 911s are higher?). Here is a pic,

19814815.jpg

As for the M/F steering wheel, I'm not if its that desirable since the PCM unit is already located quite close?

Thanks for any advice.

Opted myself for a new AU spec 911S with M/F & PASM/Sports Chrono Plus. Seriously, without PASM they are a great drive day to day and on the Brisbane roads with the PASM in sport mode it rides fine. The M/F controls are what I'm used to, and they are really only for scrolling the music IMHO. The PCM controls are for LHD cars so volume/options tend to be on the left side of screen. What price convenience?

Can't comment on PASM, but my 997 C2S Gen2 has the M/F wheel. It's great, and properly integrates to drive maps, bluetooth phone and ipod integration. incidentally, ipod works fantastically with the menu appearing on the touchscreen and driven from the wheel too; it's found a use for my 20gb 2nd gen old ipod with a battery that doesn't work - it now sits in the armrest permenantly installed and powered off the car.

I am thinking of retrofitting the MF wheel however after hearing how it works in the Porsche I am not sure I want it. I have it in the BMW and the buttons on the wheels are rocker switches that select the next item after each press. ie, station, song, etc. However, from what other member have explained, the scroll on the Porsche MF wheel moves around the item just like the stalk for the PCM but without any geared notches so you are scrolling free from one item to another and have to look at the dash to see which menu item is selected rather than it automatically going to the next one. Might be useful if you are trying to scroll fast through the phone book or song but quite useless when just scanning stations, song or names one at a time... Which is what I find myself doing with the MF wheel in the BMW 99% of the time.

I just had the MF steering wheel upgrade done last week on my 09'C4S PDK. All I did is replace the standard steering faceplate with the MF faceplate. The part cost $199 from Suncoast and 1 hour labor charge from the dealer to activate the function. After I had a few days to play with the MF feature, I would say it is not as useful as the one from Mercedes. It has no effect on the dash cluster display and only changes display in the PCM, and you still have to take your eyes of the road to look at the PCM. In fact it is easier to change song or station with the lower left stalk through the center cluster. IMHO, it is a cool looking option but I could live without. I am glade I only spent $320 in total because I find its usefulness very limited.

John