Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

IMS bearing made in Japan? Is stock bearing German?

Engine is out of car 1997 Boxster. Pulled IMS housing off and found bearing to be relatively new and in good shape. (IMO)

Bearing is made in Japan. I would assume a factory bearing would be made in Germany?...? Pulled plastic seal and changed o-ring and re-installed housing...

You went to all that trouble and didn't investigate the LN IMS bearing replacement part? LNengineering.com has lots of these bearings.

Yes I did investigate it. I just did not invest in it...Car has 107,000 miles and runs good. When I opend the seal on the existing bearing a small amount of engine oil was inside the bearing. The bearing must have been changed at some point not too long ago. The bearing is in good shape. With my luck I would spend $600.00 on the upgrade and the next week would have a "D" chunk failure...

Out of curiosity, when you took off the IMS flange, had you done something to lock the internals in place to keep them from shifting? I remember reading a thread somewhere where the guy hadn't done that and the chains slipped on the sprocket(s).

The OE bearings can be made in:

Finland

Japan

I have seen one made in Spain, but just one... None seem to be better than the others, but there are more of the Japanese units in service it seems.

Thanks Jake. I guess maybe I should consider an IMS bearing upgrade, although bearing does not look original and is in good shape.

I am near the point of replaceing my engine. Possibly - not sure just yet - and it would be due to the IMS failure. How difficult is it to take this engine out? I have the time but am weary of working on it in my garage. I have worked on a 944 and rebuilt the clutch, exhaust, and a few other minor engine parts but not taking it all the way out. What am I up against? How high do I need to get the car to clear the bottom of the car? etc.... Boxster 99 model -

Edited by jackpjr

I am near the point of replaceing my engine. Possibly - not sure just yet - and it would be due to the IMS failure. How difficult is it to take this engine out? I have the time but am weary of working on it in my garage. I have worked on a 944 and rebuilt the clutch, exhaust, and a few other minor engine parts but not taking it all the way out. What am I up against? How high do I need to get the car to clear the bottom of the car? etc.... Boxster 99 model -

If you are reasonably mechanically inclined it is not that tough. Buy a Bentley manual...not the best but it does have a step by step for engine removal.

As far as the height to slide engine out from under, I have my 1997 front tires on 4" wood blocks, and jackstands at the rear jacking points. I removed the transmission first, as i believe it is easier and I will install new seals before I re-install. I have 2 costco style small floorjacks and in order to get the intake manifolds past the cross member studs I needed to jack the car up under the pinch welds and used 2-4x4 blocks on top of the jack. The top block has a groove cut in it from a circular saw to slip over the pinch weld. I will measure and post when i re-install the engine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am replacing the bearing in my 2004 Anniversary 911 with the LN Engineering single bearing kit at 32000 km. The original bearing is a 6204DU17 made in Poland and it appears to be in good shape, just changing to reduce the highest risk factor in the M96/03S engine for peace of mind.

I just had the LN Engineering ceramic IMS bearing installed in my '99 Boxster with 80K miles. Here is a link to photos I took of the procedure which was done at Flintworks in Campbell, CA. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43775010@N08/sets/72157623430952061/

The OEM IS bearing was made in Japan and my car was assembled in Finland. Although the OEM bearing looked fine when the center bolt was tapped through some really foul, burned smelling oil came out of it and it did not rotate as freely as the LN bearing, I was surprised the OEM bearing was made in Japan as the Germans are known for making superb bearings. I also did a video of the procedure and it is on FaceBook, I'll put a link up for it if anyone is interested.

I worked for SKF over 30 yrs. From my experience, 6204 bearings were made in many different countries. But to the same set of standards within a company.

SKF - France, Argentina, India

INA/F.A.G. - Germany, Canada, S Korea

NSK - Japan, Poland, UK, USA

NTN - Japan, Canada

Hope this is helpful.

Marc S - Suwanee, GA

• 2 weeks later...