Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Add AUX input to CDR220 to make IPOD/MP3 Capable

I was at a point where I was going to change the head unit to get Blue Tooth and MP3 player input capability. All of my music is on either my Blackberry or on my MP3 player. While searching for head units I found a company that makes a Becker Aux input cable with an RCA mini plug or an IPOD plug (with or withput charger) for the CR/CDR-220. Took 30 minutes to install it. I now can play my Blackberry through my stock radio and if I get a call the phone automatically mutes the sound. I use a Blue-tooth ear bud to take hands free calls.

The price is ridiculous at $39 but it saved me $200.

Kit included color printed instructions, set of OEM radio keys, a 35mm RCA stereo terminated cable and a reducer jack/plug for smaller receptacles.

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-35mm

I also found a source in the UK for speaker adapters that allows you to fit up after market 4" speakers and still use the stock grills. When I get those in I will tell you how it went.

From their web site are pictures of Ipod and RCA wires.

post-36272-1259525077.jpg

post-36272-1259594515_thumb.png

Edited by soutex

Nice find-so...noob ?-how do I tell what I have in radio? I have an 04 C4S with PCM (3.0 I recently found out too!)-

good find on the BB cord!

"According to Becker, only the CR/CDR-220 has AUX input."

This cable won't work. I looked at the diagram for the back of the PCM unit and I don't see any AUX input. You have a 3 part connector for audio, data, CD changer.

Some of the PCM units came with a cassette player. If that applies to you then you could get a cassette audio input device that would provide an input for a MP3 player. I have a 2007 Avalon that has a cassette tape player. I think the auto designers need to get out more. I have not had a cassette tape in my house/car since the mid 90s.

Hi fellas,

I recently fitted an ipod cable to my CDR22. Bought it from ebay where it was described as for Becker stereos. I knew it wouldn't change my Nano, but it ended up blowing the Nano, and the replacement Nano, so I'm playing it safe and replacing the cable with a 3.5" jack instead!

iwire has a charging IPOD cable. Here is what they say: "This bundle includes both the iWireP-220-iPod iPod connector cable and a charging convert. This bundle includes all that you need to get your iPod Nano fourth generation playing and charging through your factory Porsche CR/CDR-220 audio system. This bundle will also allow the iPod Touch second generation, and iPhone (both models) to charge with our iWireP-220-iPod cable. It is important to note that of the newest iPod models, only the iPod Nano fourth generation will play audio"

Price: $65

http://www.iwirep.com/products/iwirep-220-ipod-bundle

New question: On the back of my CDR 220 are two RCA female plugs. What are those for? I do not see them on the illustrations for the unit in any of the books.

Edited by soutex

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to figure this itouch /iphone adaptation as well. I have a cable that plays audio on the i touch 1st Gen, but does not charge it. I know there are some combination's that people say work, but does anyone know for sure what works for the iphone 3G/i touch? This seesm liek a simple thing, but I am no electronics expert and know little about the new generation apple products. Surely do not want to fry a new Iphone.

I have been trying to figure this itouch /iphone adaptation as well. I have a cable that plays audio on the i touch 1st Gen, but does not charge it. I know there are some combination's that people say work, but does anyone know for sure what works for the iphone 3G/i touch? This seesm liek a simple thing, but I am no electronics expert and know little about the new generation apple products. Surely do not want to fry a new Iphone.

I would call them and ask. There web site says their cable supports the Iphone 3G however you have a valid concern.

(888)-654-4265 ext 2

• 2 years later...

So how do I activate the Aux input? I have a CDR-220 in my 996.2 with both an iPod connection and RCA plug which the previous owner installed. I can't figure out how to get the music to play though the stereo though. I tried the stuff with the S button and activated the Aux, but the music still wont play through when I plug a device in.

• Admin

So how do I activate the Aux input? I have a CDR-220 in my 996.2 with both an iPod connection and RCA plug which the previous owner installed. I can't figure out how to get the music to play though the stereo though. I tried the stuff with the S button and activated the Aux, but the music still wont play through when I plug a device in.

That radio only supports one AUX input at a time.

If you want two AUX sources then you will need to wire-up your own switch.

• Admin

I think there may be a switch installed. There's a tiny switch in my ashtray that looks aftermarket. Assuming it is one, how do I set the head unit to play the music through?

Hard to say custom switch and all... all you can do try the switch in both positions and use the "S" button to cycle through until you get something.

• 3 weeks later...