Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Can't get into car! Ideas?

I have a 2003 996 C4S. I'm new to porsche's and need some help. My key FOB was working fine and both lights blink for trunk and doors when i press them but nothing happens. The key does not open the door manually but it does start the vehicle and run it. The car is now locked and I cant get into it. How do i get into my car? How do i get a key that manually opens the doors. The key i have does start the car and open glove compartment but will NOT open doors or center console... Please help....

The key fob battery is good, tested on voltmeter. I unfortunately don't have a spare... Came with only 1 key... Pulled the shroud off of passenger wheel well and looked for cable to get into trunk, opened trunk and disconnected battery and put back on and wallah!!! key fob now works? I don't know why but i guess i "woke" the car up?

I need to get a spare key, but still wondering why this key does not open door manually or glove box. Could the previous owner change the ignition and key?

• 3 weeks later...
How do I tell if it is the Valet Key? It has a yellow tip on the FOB 2 buttons...

I have the exact problem. Remote key didn't work and door level was disconnected.

I called the Tow truck and hope that they can open the door. no luck. I ended up tow the car home and open the door by myself with a custom steel bar. The steel bar was 1/8" x 6' long. I cut 2 slot and make a hook shape to one end. Then use newspaper to make a gap on the driver side door and slide the steel bar in to the passager side handle inside the cabin. You alarm will go on because of the motion sensor. Once you reach the passenager side door handle, pull twice and it should unlock that door. The rest is easy.

I am still struggling to fix the Door lever and my remote is still not working even though battery was changed and lights are good.

It would be helpful if anyone can give me any piece of advise.

After reading several forum, I am pretty sure is a fault remote control. Sunset is selling for $129. and not sure how much dealership will be charging.

The key fob battery is good, tested on voltmeter. I unfortunately don't have a spare... Came with only 1 key... Pulled the shroud off of passenger wheel well and looked for cable to get into trunk, opened trunk and disconnected battery and put back on and wallah!!! key fob now works? I don't know why but i guess i "woke" the car up?

I need to get a spare key, but still wondering why this key does not open door manually or glove box. Could the previous owner change the ignition and key?

I suggest that you should clean the battery terminals (+ and -) as well as the matting connectors on the cables using battery termial wired brush tool. It seems like there was corrosion film that insulated the battery cable connector and the battery terminal. During re-installation, make sure you do couple twist and push motions to ensure tight fit then tighten the connector nut.

both lights blink for trunk and doors when i press them

Are you saying the car gives the signal that it has locked the car? Mine flashes the parking light when receiving the fob signal to lock. If so then your fob electronics are working and the alarm system of the car is translating the signal but your signal to the locks or your mechanical connection to the locking system is inop. That would explain the key not working partly. I'm not sure if the door key is just an electronic switch that operates the actual locking mechanism but it would explain a wiring or mechanical failure. I'd bet on wiring failure if the lights you speak of are the signal for the car being locked. Do the full trouble shoot of fuses and wiring if at all possible.

Since my key does not manually open the door (fits it but doesnt turn), i finally had to jack the car up, remove the wheel well housing and look for the trunk release cable. Once i opened the trunkthe alarm went off and i removed the battery for about 10 seconds. I then put the battery back and walah!?, the key fob works again...Can't explain it but now it works just fine... I read somewhere that Porsche goes into saftey mode after 3 days of non use, is this true? I have been trying to use it more often (usually only once a week).

Since my key does not manually open the door (fits it but doesnt turn), i finally had to jack the car up, remove the wheel well housing and look for the trunk release cable. Once i opened the trunkthe alarm went off and i removed the battery for about 10 seconds. I then put the battery back and walah!?, the key fob works again...Can't explain it but now it works just fine... I read somewhere that Porsche goes into saftey mode after 3 days of non use, is this true? I have been trying to use it more often (usually only once a week).

The car wil go into "sleep" mode after 5 days of non use....to get out of sleep mode, you unlock the door with the mechanical key and then press the key fob unlock within 5 seconds...so it seems there was another issue. Perhaps the battery had a bad connection which prevented the immobilizer from working properly. In any event I would get the codes read to see if there is a fault in the alarm system.

Edited by wross996TT

• 5 weeks later...