Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Varia Cam shoe wear

Here is a picture of the camshaft shoes that I removed from my 1997 Boxster.

The pair on the left were on Bank 1-3 and the air on the right were on Bank 4-6.

The car has about 100,000 miles. I changed the complete Varia cam unit with a used one from Oklahoma foreign last spring.

The car was throwing codes and timing on bank 1-3 had jumped. As you can see the 4-6 bank was no better...I has planned on changing them this winter, and am glad I removed engine to do so.

It is considerably easier to do a good job with engine out of car...

post-31855-1260057039_thumb.jpg

Wow, and I thought the ones on my 996 at 50,000 were bad. But why three sets? There are only two in an engine. New sets are only about $15 from Sunset. You should look at your oil change intervals and the type of oil you are using. This can lead to excessive wear if you don't change your oil often enough and use the wrong oil.

Wow, and I thought the ones on my 996 at 50,000 were bad. But why three sets? There are only two in an engine. New sets are only about $15 from Sunset. You should look at your oil change intervals and the type of oil you are using. This can lead to excessive wear if you don't change your oil often enough and use the wrong oil.

Oil changes at 5000km since I have owned the car...damage was from the Previous owner...three sets because I changed the Varia cam unit and it came with shoes.

I knew I would be tearing into the engine in the winter as car is off road until April...

How do plan on setting the timing during reassembly? The manual calls for tool 9612 to attach to the cam, but from what I can tell, it only helps line up the notch in the cam. Something that appears to be completely possible without the tool.

I am also struggling to understand the need for tool 9599; the 3 auxiliary chain tensioners. Do the regular tensioner bolts not preform the necessary task? One of the tool sites I saw them on refers to them as "optional" tools rather then "required"

Are you using both of these tools?

I have done this 3 times...2x in car...I am not using the camshaft tensioner tools

All I have is a homemade camshaft holding tool for cover removal and re-install.

Scribe lines on the timing gear, oil pump drive, and timing chain.

Wire timing gear to timing chain. Slack off timing chain tensioner. Keep chain tight with rubber strap hooked to gear.

Make sure you see the dots on the cams before removing, and make sure the timing chain bright links are directly above dots.

As long as you do not move the position...you will be good to go.