Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch problems?

2001 Boxster S 6 speed

I have searched the forums, but I couldn't seem to find any posting with the similar issue.

The car had been running normal. The one morning the following happened. When I tried to place the car in gear the shifter wouldn't "click" in place. The shifter felt pretty normal, but I just couldn't seem to get it to stay in gear. When I do push the shifter in gear and hold it there, the car does seem to inch a bit forward like the clutch is just barely catching.

If I turn off the car and press the clutch pedal, I can move the shifter normally, and it seems to stay in place. However, reverse seems a bit off. But I don't know if it is really off or it is just me really paying attention to the movement.

Also, whether the car is on or off the clutch pedal still feels more or less normal. It is possible that the pedal travel might not be as smooth as before, but again, it is difficult for me to compare to how it felt before as I never paid too much attention to it. The pedal is not staying depressed - it moves back up once I lift my foot.

Lastly, the brake fluid reservoir is full.

Any help, suggestions, ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Savir

You may want to check and see if you shift cable has come loose from the transmission housing. There is a bracket on the right side of the clutch housing. You can see this without lifting the car. Take a look and make sure everything is still connected. If the cable slides out of the bracket, it wont allow the gears to fully engage. The bracket I am speaking of is not were the cable connects to the shift rods. Its the bracket that holds the sleeve to the cable. Its mounted on the side of the housing.

As well as per what Damage says, if its difficult to engage the gear (especially 1st or reverse) either there is air in the clutch hydraulics (master / slave cylinder) or the clutch plates are worn which requires a clutch replacement. Try pumping the clutch pedal a few times before engaging the gear - if it goes in easier, its air in the system.

Bleeding the clutch is a pain as its in a difficult position, but a lot cheaper than a new clutch......