Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

SIR Wheel Bearing tool to borrow/rent in Baltimore?

I recently purchased a 2003 Porsche Boxster S with 64k on it and I have to replace a rear wheel bearing. I know the best tool for the job is the SIRB90-P2 Hub/Bearing Extractor and Installer Kit, but i do not want to pay $300 after shipping to own a tool i will (hopefully) only use once. Is there anyone in the Baltimore area (Reisterstown specifically) that can let me borrow/rent it for a few hours to get this job done? I have been searching everywhere and my only option seems to be that I have to buy it outright. I would love to be able to avoid this if i can. My only other option is to pull out the whole wheel carrier and take it to my local porsche mechanic and have him extract it and install a new one and I would really like to avoid this as well b/c it adds extra work on my end that could be avoided if i had the right tool. And my mechanic is reluctant to letting me or anyone borrow his bearing extractor/installer; which i cant blame him for.

On another note, this site is great. It has saved me soo much time and money so far. If not for this site, I probably would still be trying to pull the axles out that I had to rebuild a few weeks ago!

I recently purchased a 2003 Porsche Boxster S with 64k on it and I have to replace a rear wheel bearing. I know the best tool for the job is the SIRB90-P2 Hub/Bearing Extractor and Installer Kit, but i do not want to pay $300 after shipping to own a tool i will (hopefully) only use once. Is there anyone in the Baltimore area (Reisterstown specifically) that can let me borrow/rent it for a few hours to get this job done? I have been searching everywhere and my only option seems to be that I have to buy it outright. I would love to be able to avoid this if i can. My only other option is to pull out the whole wheel carrier and take it to my local porsche mechanic and have him extract it and install a new one and I would really like to avoid this as well b/c it adds extra work on my end that could be avoided if i had the right tool. And my mechanic is reluctant to letting me or anyone borrow his bearing extractor/installer; which i cant blame him for.

On another note, this site is great. It has saved me soo much time and money so far. If not for this site, I probably would still be trying to pull the axles out that I had to rebuild a few weeks ago!

You may want to try a local tool rental place or maybe check with Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They have free rental of a lot of special use tools. B)

G:

There was a poster here a little more than a year ago who was trying to sell his SIR tool. Do a search and you'll find out whether it's still available use.

He was in the same situation as you are and decided that he would buy the tool, use it, and then sell it at a discount either here or on eBay, IIRC.

Regards, Maurice.

You may want to try a local tool rental place or maybe check with Advance Auto or Auto Zone. They have free rental of a lot of special use tools. B)

I actually have an Advance Auto less than a mile from my house, but I checked what they had last night and I wasnt confident it would work to get the bearing out. All they seemed to have was a clutch bearing puller and a wheel hub puller (which i guess i could use to get the hub off).

I have used their rental tools before on my old trailblazer with pretty good success. It is a great program they have going for essentially "borrowing" tools no one in a position similar to mine really wants to buy.

I will just get them both and see what I can do this weekend. If they dont work, I will just pull the wheel carrier and take it to my local mechanic to get the bearing out.

Thanks!