Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

evolution clutch hydraulic kit

Beecher

I have hated the soggy clutch linkage in my 2003 turbo since the day I first bought it. The clutch never engaged in the same place twice. It would cause me to bog the car at launch or engage on the floor and stall out. Evolution Motorsports has a kit to replace the accumulator and other assisted parts with GT2 parts. It's a simple hydraulic linkage with a master and slave cylinder. The assist at the power steering pump is removed and the system runs on DOT brake fluid not Pentosin. This is good news as Pentosin is flammable. When the mechanic took apart the power steering pump to remove the boost to the clutch, he found a folded over O ring which explains the changing pressure in the system. It's much better now, the clutch is stiffer, but it engages exactly in the same place each time. I can now drive the car in stop and go traffic! Highly recommended! :D

So I guess you're saying that the folded over O ring was the cause of the poor performance of your clutch, and you didn't actually need to replace it? Aside from the fact that the new system operates on DOT fluid rather than Pentosin, what other benefit do you see.

I drive an 02TT X50 and other than the fact that I burned thru a clutch when I went with upgraded wastegates, the Europipe 100 cell cat free flow exhaust, and a flash tune, the upgraded GT2 Sachs clutch works just fine. The clutch pressure is constant and the engagement is at the same point consistently. I have had to change out the accumulator, but this seems like a common failure on the TT.

I haven't heard of too many folks who have swapped out their clutches for the EVO system because they didn't like the stock clutch unless they're into racing. Do you think you would have done the swap if the O ring hadn't been improperly installed?

Chuck, you may be right. The mechanic told me it was a freak thing, that the factory goofed when they built the pump. It would have been impossible to trace my problem to that O-ring without tearing the pump apart. I'm glad that I made the swap because I got rid of the problem. I will say that my clutch was a pain and the last turbo that I drove was a lot better. Still, it's done and I love the positive feel.

Yes, I have Kevin's clutch....the only different thing I did was rather than pay for a new dual mass flywheel, I had a rebuilt one that had been resurfaced....the rest was the new SACHS GT (2 or 3?? don't remember) upgraded clutch. Kevin strongly suggested I go with the lightweight flywheel, but I opted to stay with the dual mass. I've heard too many grouses about the rattle of the LWFW....and quicker spoolup wasn't something I was particularly hot on....I wasn't looking to shave .05 off my 0-60 times.

My only complaint is a bit of chatter in reverse which requires more gas to overcome it..something that didn't occur with the OEM clutch.

Edited by Chuck Jones