Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Alternator? Click...click...click...no start

g8rdmd

2002 turbo......

This is now the second time this has happened:

Get in the car, depress clutch, turn key and all I get is click, click click. All the interior lights still light, the radio comes on, etc (i.e. all electrical equipment seems to be working...). Still enough juice to pop the hood and access the battery. The voltmeter on the dash reads about 10-11 volts. Turn the key off and try again and same thing...

The first time it happened, I was in a hurry leaving for work--so, I hooked up a battery charger/jumper and the car turned over with no problem . Got to work, put the car on a charger and within 30 minutes it showed a full charge. Sure enough, voltmeter with the key in the on position shows 12 volts, up to 14 with the car running.

Same thing happened today, about three weeks after the first incident. This time, the battery jumper didn't start the car right away--I had to let it charge about 5 minutes. Again, before jumping the voltmeter read 10-11; after it read 12 and up to 14 running.

I have noticed that the car does lose electricity during these episodes, if briefly. I know because I have a Kenwood stereo which loses all its memory presets when this occurs.

So, any ideas? Sorry, I know this is long but I wanted to include as much info as possible. Wouldn't seem to be that it's the battery, or is it just going bad slowly...? Starter switch? Alternator? Help? Thanks!

Thanks, guys. Guess I'll be looking for a new battery. The RennTechers and the 6speeders all seem to be in agreement!

we're all the same guys...LOL

Yeah, I figured most of us were on the same forums...not everyone has the same screen names though. :D

If everything else is ok- have you tried removing your driver's side floor mat (or at least pulling it way back away from the pedals)? If mine is even just a TINY bit under the clutch, I get that same clicking and no start. I was about to have it towed in when I called my local Porsche dealership and they told me to try the floor mat first... sure enough, it worked.

If you have already done this, I apologize. Just thought I would mention it. Good luck! :-)

2002 turbo......

Get in the car, depress clutch, turn key and all I get is click, click click. All the interior lights still light, the radio comes on, etc (i.e. all electrical equipment seems to be working...). Still enough juice to pop the hood and access the battery. The voltmeter on the dash reads about 10-11 volts. Turn the key off and try again and same thing...

The first time it happened, I was in a hurry leaving for work--so, I hooked up a battery charger/jumper and the car turned over with no problem . Got to work, put the car on a charger and within 30 minutes it showed a full charge. Sure enough, voltmeter with the key in the on position shows 12 volts, up to 14 with the car running.

Same thing happened today, about three weeks after the first incident. This time, the battery jumper didn't start the car right away--I had to let it charge about 5 minutes. Again, before jumping the voltmeter read 10-11; after it read 12 and up to 14 running.

I have noticed that the car does lose electricity during these episodes, if briefly. I know because I have a Kenwood stereo which loses all its memory presets when this occurs.

So, any ideas? Sorry, I know this is long but I wanted to include as much info as possible. Wouldn't seem to be that it's the battery, or is it just going bad slowly...? Starter switch? Alternator? Help? Thanks!

If everything else is ok- have you tried removing your driver's side floor mat (or at least pulling it way back away from the pedals)? If mine is even just a TINY bit under the clutch, I get that same clicking and no start. I was about to have it towed in when I called my local Porsche dealership and they told me to try the floor mat first... sure enough, it worked.

If you have already done this, I apologize. Just thought I would mention it. Good luck! :-)

2002 turbo......

Hmmm...that does make sense... If it happens again I'll try that, may save me some frustration :huh: