Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Aerokit II (GT3) front bumper part numbers

So I know this has probably been explained before and for that I do apologize, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer to exactly what the difference between these bumpers are:

I have a 2003 Boxster S that my neighbor backed into the front of yesterday and I wanted to get a GT3 MK1 (aka Aerokit II?) replacement.

I know some of these are for a Boxster and some are for a Boxster S with the cutout for the 3rd radiator, but do they all fit the same? Will the shop run into any issues if they use the 996 version? I know there are a few additional parts (brackets and mounting kits) that are needed, but what are the part numbers for those? Any explaination and pictures will be great.

Thanks

Here is a nice image of the damage

post-51386-1263862809_thumb.jpg

996.505.980.02.G2X (US version) and 996.505.980.03.G2X (RoW version) are the (unpainted) GT3 parts.

.00 and .01 are no longer available.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was hoping you would chime in Loren. I know you have extensive knowledge on the subject.

So do both 996.505.980.02.G2X (US version) and 996.505.980.03.G2X (RoW version) have the cutout for the 3rd radiator? I know that 996.505.980.02.G2X is available at germanautoparts.com for a great price so I was leaning towards that one, but I wasnt sure if it would be the best fit option compared to the other part numbers I have found. Seems like it is now based on the fact .00 and .01 arent available anymore. Also, do you know any other parts; i.e. brackets mounting, hardware, (#'s too) I would need?

Thanks

• Admin

Yes and no.

They have a plug that you remove if you add the third radiator. See my 996 3rd Radiator DIY for pics of removing the plug.

Parts?

For the bumper it should be the same hardware for attaching as your old bumper.

For the 3rd radiator - see the 3rd Radiator DIY for a complete listing. 3rd Radiator Install Instructions

Yes and no.

They have a plug that you remove if you add the third radiator. See my 996 3rd Radiator DIY for pics of removing the plug.

Parts?

For the bumper it should be the same hardware for attaching as your old bumper.

For the 3rd radiator - see the 3rd Radiator DIY for a complete listing. 3rd Radiator Install Instructions

Thanks Loren, great writeup

So is the only option for 986 S owners in the US part# 996.505.980.02.G2X? Also, I thought that I read that additional brackets and mounting hardware were needed to put an Aerokit II bumper on a 986 S (Thats what the dealership said as well.) Sorry if I'm being a PITA, just trying to make sure I dont run into any issues with extra parts or the possibility of them telling me it doesnt fit and then I'm out over a grand.

• Admin

Boxster Aerokit II or Carrera Aerokit II bumper - they are quite different.

Boxster Aerokit II looks a lot like the Boxster S bumper (IMHO) where as the Carrera Aerokit Cup looks just like the GT3 bumper.

Carrera Aerokit II is for MY02 and newer Carrera and the MY04 and newer GT3 - those use Bi-Xenon headlights and have a different shape.

To use that bumper you would need to replace the front fenders, the headlights, and do some wiring changes.

I'm jealous. I wish someone would back into mine like that, so I could get a new grill on. I have a 2003 as well. Maybe your neighbor could hook me up. :)

Haha, i still dont understand how she could have done so much damage from less than 20'. I guess she hit the gas instead of brake. I'll see if she wants to fly to Texas to hook you up. Although another accident may give the poor old lady a heart attack; she was so frantic and upset that she hit my porsche.

It has just been too much trouble finding the correct Aerokit II (GT3) bumper for this car in my area. After all is said and done it would end up being much more than I wanted to spend on something that only looks slightly different from stock. I dropped the car off at the dealer today during my lunch break to start on the repairs. I'll give an update next week (hopefully) on the outcome.

One good thing that happened with all this is that the dealer is actually letting me purchase the replacement headlight seperately. i just ordered one from germanautoparts.com for about half what they were going to charge, so now i have about $400 towards other mods! I was thinking about a B&M short shifter or Fabspeed Bypass-Pipes. Anyone have any other ideas what I spend this on (keeping in mind that I dont want to go much over the $400)? The car is pretty much completely stock.