Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2001 996 with just over 30K miles on it. I have started to notice an odor coming from the engine area when I pull the car in the garage after my 20 mile work commute. It smells like something is too hot, almost like rubber burning, but no smoke is apparent. Just had the oil changed, coolant flushed, and coolant reservoir tank replaced about 4K miled ago. My temp guage needle seldom goes much past vertical, yet when I park the car ther is a ticking sound as well coming from the engine compartment area. Sounds almost like a metalic ticking noise from the mufflers. Anyone else experiencing this? I am worried that it might be a symptom of something serious. Thanks for any help

the ticking sound is from the catalytic converters... its normal on all car... the ticking occurs as it cools... i got that smell as well and found out it was from a leaky coolant reservoir cap... see if you have the newest one... i think it ends in .04 ... if its an older cap it might just be a leak of cap as the unit vents...

the ticking sound is from the catalytic converters... its normal on all car... the ticking occurs as it cools... i got that smell as well and found out it was from a leaky coolant reservoir cap... see if you have the newest one... i think it ends in .04 ... if its an older cap it might just be a leak of cap as the unit vents...

Thanks for the reply. The cap and tank are new. The cap is black as compared to the old blue cap. Not sure if the black color means it's the newer version cap though. Seems to be on tight though, but I will see if my coolant level goes down although it is difficult to monitor.

Nothing to worry about. Seems like all 996's have this problem. My 2003 C4 has the same smell like rubber burning. After some research on the web I found that this is caused by tiny pieces of rubber that wear off your tires or is picked up from the road and then thrown against the mufflers which are right behind the rear wheels and are very hot.

Nothing to worry about. Seems like all 996's have this problem. My 2003 C4 has the same smell like rubber burning. After some research on the web I found that this is caused by tiny pieces of rubber that wear off your tires or is picked up from the road and then thrown against the mufflers which are right behind the rear wheels and are very hot.

Interesting. I have heard something similiar to your description regarding the rubber from the tires. Could be the position of the mufflers too. They do seem very close to the tires. I have new Michelins Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on. Amazing traction for winter driving in Chicago, but the compound may be very soft and can contribute to the odor. The Plus size may be getting the inside of the tire closer to the mufflers too. Not sure. Thank you for the reply though.

Interesting. I have heard something similiar to your description regarding the rubber from the tires. Could be the position of the mufflers too. They do seem very close to the tires. I have new Michelins Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on. Amazing traction for winter driving in Chicago, but the compound may be very soft and can contribute to the odor. The Plus size may be getting the inside of the tire closer to the mufflers too. Not sure. Thank you for the reply though.

I have had the burning rubber smell from mine since I've had it. Have had both PZero and SportContacts on the car and they both do the same. I'd say it's normal - strange but normal.

I have had the burning rubber smell from mine since I've had it. Have had both PZero and SportContacts on the car and they both do the same. I'd say it's normal - strange but normal.

Thank you Scottie. I guess, and am hoping that it is one of the inherent characteristics of the design. I didn't have to worry about this in my 1986 Carrera. I have to get used to the watercooled version. Two different animals yet so similiar. A cross between a motorcycle and a go-kart, but so much more fun. Just my humble opinion.

Thank you Scottie. I guess, and am hoping that it is one of the inherent characteristics of the design. I didn't have to worry about this in my 1986 Carrera. I have to get used to the watercooled version. Two different animals yet so similiar. A cross between a motorcycle and a go-kart, but so much more fun. Just my humble opinion.

Hey there, i have a 996, 911 carrera c2. it has had that burning rubber smell for 5 ish years now with no major failures or issues. What i found interesting about your post was the ticking noise.

I had what sounds like was the same problem and almost sounded like an exhaust leak. I removed all the spark plugs and found one that was only hand tight and almost completely black. After changing the plugs the ticking noise was gone. I guess it was exhaust air escaping through the hand tight plug gasket. Hope it helps!!!

Hey there, i have a 996, 911 carrera c2. it has had that burning rubber smell for 5 ish years now with no major failures or issues. What i found interesting about your post was the ticking noise.

I had what sounds like was the same problem and almost sounded like an exhaust leak. I removed all the spark plugs and found one that was only hand tight and almost completely black. After changing the plugs the ticking noise was gone. I guess it was exhaust air escaping through the hand tight plug gasket. Hope it helps!!!

Hey lix, thanks for the reply. My ticking noise is very tinny and shallow in sound. Not a deep bass sound. The source is coming from the cat location and happens only after the engine is turned off. Just wondering if you felt the difference when you got six cylinders firing instead of only five.

I have the same exact tires on my 03 911 C2 and I have a not unpleasant smell. Thanks for the reassurance. My son is makling fun of me for smelling the rear wheel wells every time I take my car for a drive.

Bellmore, thanks for the reply. How to you like the handling of the tires. Do you get much snow where you live? Just wondering if I made a good choice in tire selection and am thinking about geting some good summer tires in the spring a few months from now. I've been told not to expect to remount these tires though because of the low profile being difficult to stretch very much. Anyone else heard of this. I hate to invest in an additional set of wheels, but I guess most people are doing that if their climate demands switching rubber seasonaly.

Bellmore, thanks for the reply. How to you like the handling of the tires. Do you get much snow where you live? Just wondering if I made a good choice in tire selection and am thinking about geting some good summer tires in the spring a few months from now. I've been told not to expect to remount these tires though because of the low profile being difficult to stretch very much. Anyone else heard of this. I hate to invest in an additional set of wheels, but I guess most people are doing that if their climate demands switching rubber seasonaly.

I like them but I do not have anything to compare it to. My previous sports car was a 99 M Roadster with 225/45r17 at the front and 245/40r17 dunlops and It felt like I was velcroed onto the road. I am not sure that I have the same degree of stickyness to the road but my front tires are mich sport's which are not designed for sub freezing weather so I will have a better idea of what's what once it warms up.

But I did drive 100mph ( on a rarely used straight away with no civilians on it ) and the car was stable like it was on rails.

As for snow - I don't take it out in accumulations of snow but a dusting I do not mind and there are no problems. Bottom line I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not to sit in a garage gathering dust, having the seals die out , have a heart attack, die and have my widow sell it to someone like me.

Asfor re-mounting -- the people who sell tires on the internet have a different point of view from normal people. They want to sell tires. Ask an experienced Tire guy -- Mine, here in Long Island has 30 years experience and he knows his stuff.

Just invest in a top of the line tire gauge pressure gauge (about $8) and make sure that your tires are up to spec - 44 rear, 36 front.

Please note: if anyone disagrees with me, PLEASE write responses to my message - I am after all a newbie.

Edited by Bellmore996911

• 8 months later...

I like them but I do not have anything to compare it to. My previous sports car was a 99 M Roadster with 225/45r17 at the front and 245/40r17 dunlops and It felt like I was velcroed onto the road. I am not sure that I have the same degree of stickyness to the road but my front tires are mich sport's which are not designed for sub freezing weather so I will have a better idea of what's what once it warms up.

But I did drive 100mph ( on a rarely used straight away with no civilians on it ) and the car was stable like it was on rails.

As for snow - I don't take it out in accumulations of snow but a dusting I do not mind and there are no problems. Bottom line I bought the car to drive and enjoy, not to sit in a garage gathering dust, having the seals die out , have a heart attack, die and have my widow sell it to someone like me.

Asfor re-mounting -- the people who sell tires on the internet have a different point of view from normal people. They want to sell tires. Ask an experienced Tire guy -- Mine, here in Long Island has 30 years experience and he knows his stuff.

Just invest in a top of the line tire gauge pressure gauge (about $8) and make sure that your tires are up to spec - 44 rear, 36 front.

Please note: if anyone disagrees with me, PLEASE write responses to my message - I am after all a newbie.

Hmm I have noticed the same thing too as far as the smell although it went away now. It also could be that since I owned the car for more than a year now, a year and half to be exact I been used to the smell and don't notice it really. One of the first things I did was changed the coils, spark plugs, coolant, and brand new tires Hankook Ventus Evo V12 great tires very grippy just a tad soft. The PSI in my tires are at 42 rear, 38 front currently keep in mind I live in warmer tropical climate.

If I had a dollar for every time I got paranoid and sniffed around the back of my 996, I'd be driving a twin turbo. I've sniffed others too, which got me some questions from another 996 owner, who laughed it off as he's always experienced the smell too. Bottom line, it seems to be normal.