Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi all! I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster that is having a very strange issue with the top. Initially the top wouldn't move at all. The windows wouldn't even lower themselves when the release lever was actuated and the top button did nothing. I tested the continuity of every micro switch in the system (I definitely got them all) and tested the motor but all was fine. I checked all the fuses as well. I determined that the control unit was to blame so it was replaced with a new unit. At that point the windows would lower themselves when the lever was released and I thought I had corrected the issue. To my dismay,when I hit the button to lower the top nothing happens.

Things I've already tested or replaced...

1) Both roof latch switches

2) Top toggle switch

3) Handbrake switch

4) Clamshell switch

5)Top motor

6) B pillar switch

7) control unit

8) motor and control unit fuses

I repair Porsche cars exclusively for a living and this is the most stumped I've been in a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Hi all! I recently purchased a 2001 Boxster that is having a very strange issue with the top. Initially the top wouldn't move at all. The windows wouldn't even lower themselves when the release lever was actuated and the top button did nothing. I tested the continuity of every micro switch in the system (I definitely got them all) and tested the motor but all was fine. I checked all the fuses as well. I determined that the control unit was to blame so it was replaced with a new unit. At that point the windows would lower themselves when the lever was released and I thought I had corrected the issue. To my dismay,when I hit the button to lower the top nothing happens.

Things I've already tested or replaced...

1) Both roof latch switches

2) Top toggle switch

3) Handbrake switch

4) Clamshell switch

5)Top motor

6) B pillar switch

7) control unit

8) motor and control unit fuses

I repair Porsche cars exclusively for a living and this is the most stumped I've been in a while. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

dr:

If you have a 2001 and have item #4 (clamshell switch) and item #6 (B pillar microswitch), then some previous owner must have retrofitted your convertible top operating mechanism with parts from the "A Version". Those would be those two parts, the earlier relay, and the half-moon gear transmissions.

Therefore, there may be a compatibility issue with your current setup ("A Version" Parts) and maybe the double relay which originally came with the 2000 and later Boxsters.

Here is a photo of the two relays side by side which will help you identify which version of the relay that is presently in the car(part numbers are shown on these labels), and whether it is compatible with the other parts of the operating mechanism that are presently in your 2001 (the 2000 and later double relay is on the left):

post-6627-1265001392_thumb.jpg

Without taking out the double relay, you can identify the 2000 and later version (B Version) by a solid black square printed on its top surface. The 1997 to 1999 (A Version) will have a solid black triangle in the same spot.

The two versions share some of the same functions but are not completely compatible (which is possibly why your windows went down) but you did not get any other response.

The 2000 and later transmissions ("B Version"), manufactured by "Stehle" have the original two microswitches (which were the B-Pillar and the Clamshell Lever switch) now located inside the driver's side transmission (even though the factory manual says they are in the passenger's side transmission.

Verify which components you have and post again. We should be able to figure it out.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

That's really great information. I'm sorry but I got my Boxters mixed up and the car is in fact a 99. I definitely have the correct control unit 986.918.111.02 with the triangle. The old unit does nothing and the new one will allow the windows to lower themselves when the release is pulled so I know it it was bad. Still no dice with the top itself. :help:

I also installed a late control unit just to see if it made any difference.

Edited by dr914jr

That's really great information. I'm sorry but I got my Boxters mixed up and the car is in fact a 99. I definitely have the correct control unit 986.918.111.02 with the triangle. The old unit does nothing and the new one will allow the windows to lower themselves when the release is pulled so I know it it was bad. Still no dice with the top itself. :help:

I also installed a late control unit just to see if it made any difference.

Dr:

If the car is a 99, then it sounds like you have the correct parts, including the correct double relay (with the triangle).

When you pull up on the handbrake switch, does the idiot light on the dashboard light up?

Have you tried a known good early double relay?

If the dashboard light lights up and you have tried a known good relay, and since you have already tested all of the other components as per your previous post, one remaining possibility is that one of the wire connections to one of the spades on the underside of the relay tray ( at one of the two white cubes for the double relay) may have come loose. I have posted photos of how to remove the relay tray, as well as photos of the back of the relay tray on Mike Focke's website, here: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/in...frameona'97

Go to the last link in that article (the "electrical connections" link) and you can download the PDF (big file, takes some time to download). You will find the photos and directions on the relay tray in the first pages and, all the way at the end you will find english translations for the pin assignments for each of the two types of double relays.

I mention the possibility of a loose or separated connection because I was surprised at how easily some of those crimped connections onto their spades came apart in normal handling.

Regards, Maurice.

The issue turned out to be an interment-ant issue with the latch micro-switch. It worked fine with a multimeter but once it was reinstalled it wouldn't work correctly. What a **** waste of time. :cursing:

There is a post here by Danhinkebein that describes an intermittent problem with one of the latch microswitches that was acting up because of temperature changes. The crack in the solder joint was so fine that it would work until the temperature rose and would expand the parts enough to lose contact.

Here's the link for some interesting reading: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=10458&hl=

Glad you got it sorted out. :clapping:

Regards, Maurice.