Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PM me your email address and I will send you a diagram for the cam holder, some pics and some instructions of marking the cams and for setting the timing without the special tools.

pm sent and thanks!

I am trying to do some PM with 127k on the OD, I have heard that the rail guides get worn pretty bad on high mileage vehicles, I know i can replace the 2 pads per head on the Vario-cam thingie (sorry not sure of the technical term) but not sure if you can unbolt and replace the pads that run along the chain that go back to the IMS, from schematics it looks like one pad is held on by a bold and moved by an oil driven pressure unit, the other pad is bolted on with 2 bolts, just not sure if the bolts are accessible from the exterior of the engine and if they can be removed/replaced with the crank case assembled.

PM me your email address and I will send you a diagram for the cam holder, some pics and some instructions of marking the cams and for setting the timing without the special tools.

pm sent and thanks!

I am trying to do some PM with 127k on the OD, I have heard that the rail guides get worn pretty bad on high mileage vehicles, I know i can replace the 2 pads per head on the Vario-cam thingie (sorry not sure of the technical term) but not sure if you can unbolt and replace the pads that run along the chain that go back to the IMS, from schematics it looks like one pad is held on by a bold and moved by an oil driven pressure unit, the other pad is bolted on with 2 bolts, just not sure if the bolts are accessible from the exterior of the engine and if they can be removed/replaced with the crank case assembled.

For the IMS to exhaust cam chain guides, the adjustable one is held by 1 bolt and the fixed is held by two bolts. For head 1-3 all the bolts are easily accessible by (flywheel side). For head 4-6, you have to remove the oil pump housing to access the bolts. I had minimal wear on my chain guides at 105K on mine. I also replaced all three chain adjusters as two were scored. The vario-cam pads were worn badly. If I were to do again, I think I skip the chain guides. I posted this on rennlist about a month ago.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/7191930-post1.html

When I did my head repair I had the same basic experience with the plastic pads on the chain guides, although I only removed the one for the IMS to Cams on the 1-3 side. It showed hardly any wear at 50K. But the pads for the cam advance tensioners were all badly worn, so I replaced them on both heads, about $13 per set, left the others alone.