Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Conti Tires - Need To Replace The Rear Ones

Gang, here is the issue. I just found out that I have a nail in the side wall of one of my (almost new) rear tires. They are the original Conti , not the later 2 version ( if that is the correct number). Now the original tire is out of production and the Rector folks in Burlingame are telling me that they will have to replace both rear tires. So I have suggested I like to have 285's on the rear. They are telling me that is not an approved version , which I know, almost everybody has on the 10 inch rears ( 18 inch diameter- I have Sport design rims) and , the cost for the Conti 265 is a misery 325 dollars. That is about 100 bucks more than the Tire rack is showing in the catalogue but it seems they are out of stock on this type . I am pulling my car out of the garage because they let me wait 2 days before telling me / finding out after I create mayhem, that the original tires are not available. They have the new type ( 265 width) in stock which of course they did not tell me about on Monday - after all I am only a stupid customer.

So now I am looking for the original Conti to I have a maching pair. The other option is the replace both of them.

In that case I want to go for 285's. Now knowing that I still have almost brandnew Conti's on the front ( 225 on 7 1/2 inch width -18 inch diameter), what 285 width tire would reasonably match or should I care and just pick the right tire?. And in the latter case , what would that be.? I appreciate all the input I can get.

HarryR

C 2 1999

I suspect that by increasing the rear tire width (from 265 to 285) but not changing the front, all you will do is increase the inherent understeer that's already designed into the car. I would suggest sticking with the 265 size unless you want to spend the money to change all four, in which case, I would suggest a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in a 245/40 and 295/30 configuration.

BTW, are you sure the Sport Design front rims are 7.5"? I thought they were 8". If the front wheels are only 7.5", then you are pretty much stuck with the tire size you have. Any wider tire up front will require at least an 8" rim.

Karl

Porsche matches 225 up front with 265 in rear. If you go wider in the rear you may create understeer, but I am not too technical on this setup. You can offset some of this by over/underinflating your front and rear tires.

You have to check with each tire what rim size/tire size is allowable, typically they have a range. To mount 285's, your rim width should be 10" (e.g. 9.5"-10.5" allowable or so). The sport-design wheels come in four sizes: 7.5J and 9J for the boxster and 8J and 10J for the 996. Check which rims you have, if you have the 9J in the rear you cannot fit these wider tires. Wheel enhancement is usually very helpful to answer questions like these. Go to Wheel Enhancement web page.

I believe it is ok to match different front and rear tire sets, but not different left and right tire sets.

Personnally I recommend going with either

Conti SportContact2, 285/30-18 SL N2 (Porsche OEM), $238 VR, $290 ZR or

Michelin Pilot Sport Rib 285/30-18 SL N1 (Porsche OEM), $268 VR, $299 ZR.

Tirerack also lists the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 (both N2 and N3 Porsche OEM ratings), Pirelli PZero Rosso Assimetrico (both N3 and N4 Porsche OEM), Kumho ECSTA V700 ($233 - no N rating), Michelin Pilot Sport Cup ($316, no N rating) and the Yokohama ADVAN A048 ($332, no N rating) as available in the 285/30-18 sizes. In California you can't go wrong with any of them really (summer tires).

You can also get the Pirelli PZero Nero M&S all season in 285/30-18 for $185 at tirerack.

All these tires are also available as 265/35-18, and cost a little less in that size.

Check with the local tire shops also. I found wheelworks very helpful - they order the tire you want for (almost) the same cost as tirerack.

Decision is made, 2 new Conti2 265 for the back. I should have them early next week. I noticed that this tire has a larger rubber "lip" on the outside compared with the originals. This will protect my rims better I hope.

HarryR C2 1999.