Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air-cooled Snobbery?

Is there a bit of snobbery of original air-cooled 911 owners toward us owners of the water-cooled 996's and 997's? There was an article in the 2/14 Orange County Register about a highly reputed Porsche shop there called Truspeed. The author maintains that the original 911's were the last of the "hand built" Porsches by dint of the numbers produced of those vs. the later versions. I encountered this perceived snobbery when I inquired at a local independent shop if they could service my 997. The owner said that they had a tendency to "blow up", and he basically dismissed me. OK, so he was right about the Dreaded RMS and IMS issues (but mine has yet to detonate). I dearly want to visit Truspeed next time I'm in the Oh Cee, because I have a new-found respect for the original 911's, and I consider ALL Porsches worthy of a wave or light-flash salute. Cheers.

Is there a bit of snobbery of original air-cooled 911 owners toward us owners of the water-cooled 996's and 997's? There was an article in the 2/14 Orange County Register about a highly reputed Porsche shop there called Truspeed. The author maintains that the original 911's were the last of the "hand built" Porsches by dint of the numbers produced of those vs. the later versions. I encountered this perceived snobbery when I inquired at a local independent shop if they could service my 997. The owner said that they had a tendency to "blow up", and he basically dismissed me. OK, so he was right about the Dreaded RMS and IMS issues (but mine has yet to detonate). I dearly want to visit Truspeed next time I'm in the Oh Cee, because I have a new-found respect for the original 911's, and I consider ALL Porsches worthy of a wave or light-flash salute. Cheers.

"Hand-built" is a subjective term. At the risk of igniting a flamewar with the 993 crowd, all this really means is that certain QA processes to ensure a consistent build weren't used on the old "stop n' go" assembly line. This meant more time needed to be spent correcting errors on finished cars before they left the factory.

Porsche has managed to maintain a consistent reliability and build quality record despite increasing their model range and volume exponentially over the past decade. They've kept their brand promise despite selling to more people at a lower price, and opening the owner's club to folks who commute, abuse, and neglect these cars--something that few aircooled folk do at the risk of destroying an "out-of-print" model or replacing unobtanium parts. And for aircooled fans who cry foul about engineering defects like IMS and RMS: what of head studs, valve guide wear, secondary air, and oil leaks from every nut, bolt, and seal? Seems to me that leading-edge engineering has always come at a (slight) reliability cost, not much has changed.

Exclusivity used to be one of the things that made a Porsche special to some people. I'm not one of those people, but I imagine many owners of older Porsches are. I think this is what drives much of the percieved snobbery.

Any indy who doesn't want to take your money in exchange for their services is asking to be run out of business. Just a guess, but the attitude you got probably masks a lack of experience and hardware to work on the newer generation of cars. Get someone you trust to recommend a shop that likes your 997.

Mark

Edited by number9ine
  • Upvote 1

I have the best of both Worlds! An air-cooled turbo and a Boxster S.

Unfortunately, there are snobby people everywhere, not just in the Porsche circles. How about those Prius owners!! LOL. Yes, the air cooled guys are a pretty proud bunch.

Don't be discouraged by one poor experience.

I have heard a lot of great things about Truespeed. You should visit them if you get the opportunity. I bet your experience will be very enjoyable.

Porsche has managed to maintain a consistent reliability and build quality record despite increasing their model range and volume exponentially over the past decade. They've kept their brand promise despite selling to more people at a lower price, and opening the owner's club to folks who commute, abuse, and neglect these cars--something that few aircooled folk do at the risk of destroying an "out-of-print" model or replacing unobtanium parts. And for aircooled fans who cry foul about engineering defects like IMS and RMS: what of head studs, valve guide wear, secondary air, and oil leaks from every nut, bolt, and seal? Seems to me that leading-edge engineering has always come at a (slight) reliability cost, not much has changed.

Mark

Personally, I find the build quality, design and engineering of my 997 to be exceptional. And it goes so bloody fast to boot! And White987S, I'm gonna make it a point to visit Truspeed, if only to be up to my fanny in Porsches, air-cooled or otherwise. And starting a flame war is the least of my intentions.

Some people forget the problems air cooled sixes had or have.

Timing chain tensioners that failed, sometimes explosively if at high RPM. Air boxes that exploded, head bolts that failed, and that's just off the top of my head.

The 993 was probably the best air cooled car Porsche could build and expect to meet ever more stringent emissions standards. In 911 development there were fixes and improvements made to what was basically the 901.

The 986/996 was a clean sheet design that, at least to me, captured the soul of 911-ness. And they were designed for ease/efficiency in their manufacturing process.

I remember 356 guys saying that we should buy a 1965 C or SC because this would be the last "real" Porsche!

I just drove a friends new 997 GT3 :P ... Seemed like a freakin "real Porsche" to me :lol:

When I was young my Dad and many friends had air cooled Porsches. They were very tempremental and throwing a timing chain was a pretty normal occurence. But I coveted owning one myself..

Like 355 says.. I like all Porsches.. The sound of an air cooled Turbo is fantastic... Just seems kind of silly to dismiss the evolution of the 911....

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

Just got back from a PCA-LA Fun Run that included everything from 356's to a brand spanking new 997.2 Turbo, and we all had complaints about our respective models: from the 356B's puny tires and fade prone drum brakes to the "poor" guy with the new Turbo being saddled with a break-in regimen and an astronomical insurance premium (our hearts bled for him. . . ), but all of us were proud to be privileged members of an exclusive club. We practically fell over each other in praise of each other's different machinery. Cheers!

...I inquired at a local independent shop if they could service my 997. The owner said that they had a tendency to "blow up", and he basically dismissed me.

Which was his way of saying he wasn't smart enough to keep up with the later models. Always nice to make others feel bad to hide your own inadequacies.

Which was his way of saying he wasn't smart enough to keep up with the later models. Always nice to make others feel bad to hide your own inadequacies.

I've since been using my mechanic who used to service my old M-B 123 Turbodiesel. He's a natural mechanic, and because Porsche seems to encourage owner maintenance, I have complete trust in his ability, which is far beyond mine.

When the original 911 (901) was introduced, the 356 crowd was saying the same thing about the 911 - not hand built like the 356! The air cooled 911 are great cars - but as stated - not without their issues. Top end rebuilds are very expensive - and very labour intensive.