Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag cover/crest has become "soft"- ideas?

After my local shop (which I trust & with a great reputation) replaced the main switch in the steering (signals, intermittent wipers, high/low beams) in my 2000 S, I noticed that the airbag cover now has about 1/4" play in it. That is, when I press in on the Porsche crest, instead of a firm feel and the horn instantly sounding, it depressed a bit, and then the horn will sound.

My shop says it has seen some of this before, but not this much play. It was described as merely a "cosmetic" issue. Of course, I'm quite concerned about any changes in the airbag, and whether it will still function if/when it is supposed to.

I didn't find anything on this via a quick forum search- anyone else heard of/experienced this? Any resolution?

(naturally, the only way to "get in there" and see if there is indeed a problem with the airbag is to deploy it! Basically a commitment of $800 or so just to get the answer...)

Going from memory here, but on the three spoke wheel on my 03S, there are two torx scres that come in the back of the wheel and hold the airbag/cover on. I don't know that the cover can be removed from the airbag. If you have movement, the airbag itself may not be seated ont he wheel correctly. Is the cover soft all over, on one edge around the top or what?

I would pull the airbag/cover off check that the wheel is installed correctly and that the switch assemle is set at the correct depth/ the Bently's gives a measurment from the end of the threaded steering shaft to the face of theswitch assembly. If it is off, the wheel may not seat correctly, and the the airbag may not set right. It's an easy job with the right tools, just handle the airbag like a loaded gun (it is) and take your time to check things. The batt gets disconnected first, leave the key in the ignition, I put the top down first for comfort. Check the Bently's there is a simple procedure there with the measurement you need.

After my local shop (which I trust & with a great reputation) replaced the main switch in the steering (signals, intermittent wipers, high/low beams) in my 2000 S, I noticed that the airbag cover now has about 1/4" play in it. That is, when I press in on the Porsche crest, instead of a firm feel and the horn instantly sounding, it depressed a bit, and then the horn will sound.

My shop says it has seen some of this before, but not this much play. It was described as merely a "cosmetic" issue. Of course, I'm quite concerned about any changes in the airbag, and whether it will still function if/when it is supposed to.

I didn't find anything on this via a quick forum search- anyone else heard of/experienced this? Any resolution?

(naturally, the only way to "get in there" and see if there is indeed a problem with the airbag is to deploy it! Basically a commitment of $800 or so just to get the answer...)

Taking the the thing apart is pretty easy but, being a porsche, theres some kind curve ball in there,I forget what. If you take it apart the prob. should be obviouse

'

Everybody will have the bushing that hold entire "floating horn/air bag" assemmbly wear out. That usually manifests itself in a really sloppy horn, just touch it and the horn blows. If that the the weak link, theres at least 15 DYI's around here. They range alot in complexity.

PK

If the change happened after the shop did the work, it's up to them to remedy the issue. If they refuse, go to the dealer and have them spend an hour to diagnose the looseness. Take that invoice back to the mechanic with the explanation and give them the option to correct it, or reimburse you for the cost of repairing and diagnosing it.

Because the airbag is housed in a loose unit, this is a potential safety issue. It's my $.02, but I'd make it clear to your mechanic that it's your safety and their reputation at stake.

Mark

Edited by number9ine

If the change happened after the shop did the work, it's up to them to remedy the issue. If they refuse, go to the dealer and have them spend an hour to diagnose the looseness. Take that invoice back to the mechanic with the explanation and give them the option to correct it, or reimburse you for the cost of repairing and diagnosing it.

Because the airbag is housed in a loose unit, this is a potential safety issue. It's my $.02, but I'd make it clear to your mechanic that it's your safety and their reputation at stake.

Mark

+1

no matter how good their reputation is - mistakes can and will hapen as long as humans work on stuff -