Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help locating drain and fill plugs on 99 Boxster tranny

New to the 986 world and while it looks straightforward I want to make sure I have them located properly before I go to task. I have been changing the tranny fluid in my GT3 and 996CAB (as well as many friends 996's) for years and it is very easy but the Boxster tranny looks just a touch different.

Can somebody please point out in the pictures where the two (drain in fill) are as well as type and size? The drain looks like a security bit (not sure why) and the other looks standard.

TIA!

**I assume that these two pictures I just took illustrate the drain and fill plugs but I'd like to be sure before I start going to town on the box :) **

post-315-126753512467_thumb.jpg

post-315-12675351377_thumb.jpg

post-315-126753531325_thumb.jpg

post-315-126753556076_thumb.jpg

Edited by LVDell

Hard to tell from your pictures but, the drain is a tamper-proof star wrench on the bottom of the transaxle at the lowest point a possible. It requires a special tamper proof star star wrench from Porsche ($$$) or the same from Ebay for about $15

The fill plug is a giant-ish allen-head on the left side of the transe, in front of the axeland, about level with the bottom of the axel. Requires either a large 13-15mm hex head allen head socket. Probably a Porsche special tool, maybe available at an auto, box store or, just purchase an appropriate sized bolt & nuts, tighten them all together but tight and, slip a regular 13mm (or 15 mm socket, whatever) on it, instant "special tool".

The box is supposed to only be filled 11 mm below the fill whole...go figure. Your on your own there.

Good luck, PK

Thanks for the reply. What amazes me is that the drain and fill plugs on my 996CAB and GT3 were very easy to do with no "special" tools required. Wonder why Porsche decided that the Boxster needed a special hard to find tool???

And this 11mm stuff? I have read that doing a search today and just don't get it either. Again, on the other cars, you fill until it starts to come out of the fill location.

Edited by LVDell

After reading the workshop manual it states that you add 2.25L of tranny oil which will leave it 11mm below the opening. So.....wouldn't common sense dictate to just add 2.5L??????

What cracks me up is that it states...."use a bent wire hook (shop-made) to check the level". You mean there is no special tool for this or TSB how to make this tool??? :)

Edited by LVDell

Thanks for the reply. What amazes me is that the drain and fill plugs on my 996CAB and GT3 were very easy to do with no "special" tools required. Wonder why Porsche decided that the Boxster needed a special hard to find tool???

And this 11mm stuff? I have read that doing a search today and just don't get it either. Again, on the other cars, you fill until it starts to come out of the fill location.

For some reason they put the fill hole 11mm above where they determined the optimum fluid level is for the transmission.

However, you should be careful NOT to overfill the transmission. You can stick a small right-angled allen key or a piece of wire hanger that you have pre-marked at 11mm from the right angle and fill it a little at a time once you are in the ballpark. If you use one of those small allen keys, be careful not to drop it in there! :eek:

Regards, Maurice.

LVDell - I realise that this won't help you, but the Boxster S from 2000 on uses the 996 6 speed gearbox, which as you know, is a lot easier to service - except for an aluminium strengthening plate that has to be removed to access the drain bolt.....

Edited by Steve Tinker