Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thought I'd throw this out seeing as the dealers I've talked to have no idea... It is weird. For about a year now, more often that not, when filling the car, the pump does not shut off until the gas starts spilling all down the side of the car. I usually insert the nozzle and use the handle lock and just fill the car and wait for the pump to stop pumping. The spillage happens at different stations. I know that the shut off function is pump dependent and not related to the car. But, does anyone know if there is anything in the car's fuel neck, etc. that might influence whether or not the stations pump shuts off or not? This is a relatively new problem here. I did do a search and only came up w/ people having problems w/ gas going in not out...

You may want to slow the speed down. Pump in eight

gallons and then set the spped lower.

Good luck.

I would try another station.

Paul

good idea about slowing down the speed. will let you know. Tks

Edited by WTL

Thought I'd throw this out seeing as the dealers I've talked to have no idea... It is weird. For about a year now, more often that not, when filling the car, the pump does not shut off until the gas starts spilling all down the side of the car. I usually insert the nozzle and use the handle lock and just fill the car and wait for the pump to stop pumping. The spillage happens at different stations. I know that the shut off function is pump dependent and not related to the car. But, does anyone know if there is anything in the car's fuel neck, etc. that might influence whether or not the stations pump shuts off or not? This is a relatively new problem here. I did do a search and only came up w/ people having problems w/ gas going in not out...

Have experienced this one time and until your post thought it was the gas pump. There is a small vacuum tube in the pump handle that runs down the spout and has an opening near the tip. Pumping gas produces suction on the vacuum tube and when gas gets high enough in the tank to cover the end of the tube it increases the vacuum on the other end of the tube which trips the shut-off. My thoughts after it occurred were that I may not have had the nozzle fully inserted in the tank neck which would interfere with the shut off mechanism in the pump nozzle. As it only happened to me at one station I chalked it up to a defective pump. In your case it's not likely that all those pumps could be defective. Make sure you've got the pump nozzle fully inserted in the tank neck next time and see if that cures the problem.

Will update next time I fill up. Tks!!

There was a campaign on the filler neck for this issue in the past. It can be either the filler neck or the fuel limit vapor valve on the tank or the evap canister overloaded at one time in past with fuel from overfilling. If your car is still under warranty, just take it to the dealer and let them know that this is a hazard to you every time you refill.

S.Vizcarra

Porsche MeisterTech

http://meistertech.blogspot.com/

Will do. Tks for the tip. Have talked to multiple dealers and no one had any idea what could be causing the problem. Will report after my check up....

Um... I think Vizcarra is thinking of the 9x6 series cars. I do not recall a TSB or Workshop Campaign for 9x7 series cars

Not to say it could not happen but there were issues (covered in TSBs) in the early 9x6 series cars that could cause this problem.

Maybe someone else can confirm which car??? I'll check it out too. TKS!!

Um... I think Vizcarra is thinking of the 9x6 series cars. I do not recall a TSB or Workshop Campaign for 9x7 series cars

Not to say it could not happen but there were issues (covered in TSBs) in the early 9x6 series cars that could cause this problem.

Edited by vizcarra44

• 3 weeks later...

I deal with this in the shop regularly.

Porsche has found that there is the possibility that some of the above-mentioned vehicles may have a

fuel filler neck installed that is incorrect. These incorrect fuel filler necks prevent the vehicle from

being filled up by prematurely triggering the automatic safety fuel cut-off feature built into the service

station fuel filler nozzles

But even if the neck is installed properly sometimes its the anti-spit valve in the filler neck.

The campaign number is A604, and although some cars are not on the list, most of the time its the filler neck. In any case the dealer nows that its a common problem.

Update - the car has been in the shop now since a week ago Wed and i was told the campaign doesn't apply to my car and unless I can duplicate the problem, they don't know what to fix. They have found no issues. The PCA tech Q&A also replied that there are no outstanding campaigns for my car....

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car back from the shop where they added fuel to try and duplicate the problem. They said they had no issues or overflowing and can find nothing wrong... Meanwhile, I had a chance to drive the car a long distance today before stopping to gas up and what do you know, it overflowed... While it did not spill all down the car this time, the pump did not shut off when it should have. Waiting for PCNA to call me back...

PS I tried to attach a cell phone video of the gas overflowing but got an error msg"Not permitted to pload this kind of file" Sorry....

It must be the way you put the hose in. Shove

the hose in all the way. Push handle down and release slowly.

Then start fuel flowing.

I do not think you are getting the hose in far enough.

Paul

I agree. And use the maximum flow notch on the nozzle handle. I tried the slow flow notch once, and it too overflowed. Also, be sure the car's on level ground to get a proper fill-up. If the car's slightly nose-up or tilting slightly left, you'll likely get a short fill.

Edited by 355bhp

I've always filled the same since the car was new - put the nozzle all the way in so the rubber vapor boot on the nozzle is snug to the fuel filler neck, then I pull the handle all the way up and use the lock feature on the nozzle to "auto fill" till full and the pump cuts off. Lately, the fuels either overfills and spills out or the pump cuts off before the tank is full. Happens at various stations. Customer Service rep. at PCNA seems to think the pump manufacturers are changing the size of pump nozzles and this is causing problems. She told me this is a know problem in some states??? Can't think of any stations I've used that have had the ground sloped so that the car was not level.

Well, not sure about the angle of the hose??? Never in my life have I had to hold a hose(well maybe once, :D ), etc., etc, to fill up a car. Did the hour and half drive to the dealer so I could take the mechanic to fill up the car and what do you know, fuel over flowed. But, as nice as they are, they have no idea what's causing the problem. Suggestion from them - next time when filling use the handle lock on the pump in the middle position instead of max and see what happens.

You might want to ask this guy directions also.

I do not think that air would mix with fuel.

Paul

Have you ever noticed that there are air bubbles mixed with the gas as it comes out the nozzle? The thing we call a pump is actually just a meter and it has trouble not monitoring some air with the gas. When you put gas in slowly not as much air gets mixed in and you get more gas for your money. Never have did a full squeeze on the nozzle and felt bubbles rushing through and then the gas must settle when you shut it off. That's air!

Edited by ALLSPEED

You might want to ask this guy directions also.

I do not think that air would mix with fuel.

Paul

Have you ever noticed that there are air bubbles mixed with the gas as it comes out the nozzle? The thing we call a pump is actually just a meter and it has trouble not monitoring some air with the gas. When you put gas in slowly not as much air gets mixed in and you get more gas for your money. Never have did a full squeeze on the nozzle and felt bubbles rushing through and then the gas must settle when you shut it off. That's air!

But should the gas overflow, the little bit of money you save winds up on the ground as a 91 RON puddle.

Heard back from cust srvc rep. at PCNA. She said after doing some research, she has discovered that the problem is most likely caused by a microchip problem in the rubber boot w/ pumps that have the rubber boot fuel vapor recovery system. Apparently the system is malfunctioning and causing the pump not to shut off when it should... According to her, especially know to be a problem in TX.... Looks like that's all the help I'm going to get from them.

Heard back from cust srvc rep. at PCNA. She said after doing some research, she has discovered that the problem is most likely caused by a microchip problem in the rubber boot w/ pumps that have the rubber boot fuel vapor recovery system. Apparently the system is malfunctioning and causing the pump not to shut off when it should... According to her, especially know to be a problem in TX.... Looks like that's all the help I'm going to get from them.

Are you still experiencing the problem? If so, you might have to just fill it manually, figuring that when your low-fuel indicator is activated, it'll take about 12 gallons. Do a little experimentation to "feel out" refill requirements at different indicated levels of your fuel gauge. After a fill-up, I usually check my fuel gauge anyway before replacing the nozzle, to make sure it's topped up. Sorry to hear that you've kinda run up against a stone wall. Would any Porsche dealers in your area by chance have gas pumps at or near their shops, so you could demonstrate the problem?