Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2.5L Engine Rebuild In Canada?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a 1999 boxster 2.5L that my mechanic diagnosed with a "100% leak at cylinder #2".

He suggested that I either replace or rebuild the engine.

I've already looked into options in the U.S., but they're too pricey for me.

Does anyone know of any shops in "Canada" that rebuild boxster motors?

Thanks!

I'd get a junk yard motor. Somthing with reasonable miles on it and with a warrenty. Silverstar recyling in sacramento is my fave. I've had motors shipped across the country several times. Seems like up to Canada would be no big thing...look for porsche junk yards in Canada for that matter. Just an educated guess but I'd say you will pay $3-4k shipped for a 2.5.

Regards, PK

There is a guy in Oshawa that does Porsche repairs, restorations, etc. You might want to give him a call. He is on Harmony Road North. I think he might be called Harmony Road Porsche? He is a one man show and a very nice guy. Good luck with it!

This summer, I'll be swapping out my 1998 2.5 for a 3.4 996 engine. The 2.5 only has 42K miles, and I have every service record since new. I will be looking to sell it in the next few months. I'm actually shipping my new engine down from Toronto, and shipping from there to here was only $300.

My guess is that buying a used engine would be cheaper than having yours rebuilt.

PM me or email me if interested.

I have recently removed my 60,000 Km engine from my 1997 Boxster in preparation for an engine conversion (Flat 6 Innovations / Jake Raby engine). It was in perfectly good running condition when removed, and I'll happily sell that one. PM me if you're interested. Engine is in Vancouver, BC at my shop.

James

I too am in Toronto. Looking into engine options. There is one local shop who has a rebuilt 2.5 on kijiji. They wanted I believe $6500. There is the shop Jaak took his car to that quoted me around $8k to rebuild. I'm just gonna wait till I find me a 3.4 and call it a day

I'm looking forward to getting my 'Jake' engine, and getting my new race car project running / driving! I looked into factory engine upgrades for a 986 Boxster, and with the current pricing on the factory remanufactured engines, along with the spotty reliability record, I decided a bit of an up-front premium should result in a pretty serious performing, and reliable engine. No matter what route someone goes with a replacement engine in these cars, it's probably more cost-effective to sell the car in pieces and buy another Boxster! One could pick up a pretty darn good '05/'06 Boxster S / Cayman S for the cost of a new performance built / factory replacement engine, labour and the recovered funds from selling an older Boxster....

I guess, I still went the replacement engine route... I'm not a financial planner, that's for sure!

There are rebuilt engines and rebuilt engines and there can be a world of difference between the guy that did the first and the one that did the second. The good guy is gonna charge you more because his reputation means there is more demand for his services but then they are worth lots more. The good guy will list all the processes and parts he is gonna use to rebuild or enhance your engine (or the engine he is gonna sell you). There are others that just say "rebuilt" which is the equivalent of "trust me"...and it is those guys for whom I'm gonna demand lots of references and search down their reputation.

I've seen too many unhappy customers from some...in contrast to none from others. I recall Googling someone who was touting himself online as a rebuilder and the first 4 references were negative.

So my word to the wise is do your homework. Ask online about someone's reputation for quality technical work, on-time delivery, honoring their commitments, etc.