Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

more needy suspesion/wheel questions

I have a '98 2.5 that I am setting up for autocross. I'm planning on running in BS but may change classes if there is no competition. It does not have the factory sport suspension. I am thinking about having my dealer install the factory sport suspention bits but would go after market if I could save some money. Any suggestions? Also I am looking for some affordable light wieght wheels. I must stay ahead of the pesky S2000s.

Bilstein PSS9 are very impressive, albeit pricey.

You want the lightest and strongest wheels. I'd go with the one-piece alloy - e.g. the OEM Carerra 5-spoke. If you get the 996 dimensions (8" up front versus 7.5" and 10" in rear versus 9") you'll get a slightly wider rim (same tire width) which may help you - but the rears require a spacer - check whether your class allows this or not. You can get the sport techno 18" in 11" width, allowing wider rubber, but they get very pricey.

Check with the Wheel Enhancement guys - maybe they can recommend a light aftermarket wheel.

If you don't want to spend $2000+ on the PSS9 coilovers, you could do pretty well with Bilstein SP shocks along with either Eibach or H&R springs. The springs will lower your car 1-1.5", allowing you to get a lot more negative camber in front. This setup should perform better and be cheaper than the factory kit. I remember seeing prices around $1200 for the factory ROW 030 parts. You should be able to get the Bilstein Shocks and the springs for less than $700. The factory 030 kit includes new sway bars, but I'm not sure how much difference they make. You might want to wait then either get a stiffer rear bar for less understeer or get a set of adjustable bars so you can tune the balance.

Regarding wheels - 3-piece forged are generally the lightest and strongest, but they are pricey. Brands like Fikse, Kinesis, and HRE can be up to $1000 per wheel. However, CCW (Complete Custom Wheels) makes forged wheels for about half that cost. http://www.ccwheel.com/

Edited by KevinC

I'm planning on running in BS but may change classes if there is no competition.

In 2005 the SCCA has put all Boxster's and the S2000 in AS with the Boxster S, Corvette, and Subaru STI. It seems totally unfair to put a car with 201 HP up against a car with 280 HP but they make the rules.

The springs will lower your car 1-1.5", allowing you to get a lot more negative camber in front.

If you lower the car it is now longer in a Stock class.

Mitch

In 2005 the SCCA has put all Boxster's and the S2000 in AS with the Boxster S, Corvette, and Subaru STI. It seems totally unfair to put a car with 201 HP up against a car with 280 HP but they make the rules.

Mitch

Where do they put the Boxster with a 3.4L engine? Same class (stock) or custom?

Thanks for the info. I have been checking out the Boxter racing board but I try not to be to pesky and ask a ton of questions all at once. I have a tendency to be an info vampire.

KevinC: I was quoted $2500+ for the 030 package at my dealer. Yikes. I had bilstiens on my Miata and really liked them.

What is an acceptable wheel weight for A 17" Porsche wheel? The 16" Rotas I was running on my Miata were a scant 14lbs. And that was a little heavy as far as Miata wheels go.