Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My First Cel This Morning. I'm A Little Stressed!

Hi guys;

This morning I got my first CEL in my entire driver life. My car is a 2003, 2.7 Boxster

This morning, outdoor temp. was around 32F. Left my house. A minute after, I was in the middle of the morning trafic. Coolant temp. was just moving from cold. Car was at a complete stop at the red light when the CEL flashes for 5 seconds and desapear! I drove back to my house immediatly. I have an OBDII USB cable and have access to one free software that gave me the following BASIC infos:

Stored diagnostic trouble code: No trouble codes

Pending Diagnostic trouble codes: P017x (On two lines) & P030x (On 4 lines)

Those codes are not clear to me but for the P030x series, it looks like it is a misfire related code, but for the P017x series, I don't know??

So do you think I'm better to go to the nearest car parts an buy a cheap code reader? Also, what is the diference between Stored code and Pending codes?

Do I have to panic, or I can cool down!

Thanks to all!

Thierry

helpsmilie.gif

So do you think I'm better to go to the nearest car parts an buy a cheap code reader? Also, what is the diference between Stored code and Pending codes?

Do I have to panic, or I can cool down!

helpsmilie.gif

Don't panic! Just be aware that if the CEL is flashing, you should not be driving the car or you risk damaging the catalytic converters.

A number of things must happen before the CEL actually lights up. When the computer determines that a malfunction has occurred, it generates and stores a "pending" code but usually does not light the CEL at that point. If the same malfunction is detected again before the next driving cycle then the CEL will go on as a steady light and a fault code will be stored. If it's in a certain category of codes, the CEL will flash. If the malfunction is not detected by the end of the driving cycle, the “pending fault code” is erased.

Regards, Maurice.

Ok;

Start the car this morning. No flashing or full CEL. Did use my friend OBD2 code reader.

I got in PENDING TROUBLE CODES: P0171: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

What does it means? Do I need to do something?

Can I use my car?

Tks for your help

Thierry

Edited by tolum

• Admin

P0171 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 – Above Limit

Possible fault cause:

- Incorrect signal from MAF sensor

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Fuel injectors fouled

- PCV valve leaks

- Cap of oil filler neck not closed correctly or seal is damaged

Check the oil filler cap first as this common when someone puts it on crooked or loses the o-ring.

Ok;

Start the car this morning. No flashing or full CEL. Did use my friend OBD2 code reader.

I got in PENDING TROUBLE CODES: P0171: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1

What does it means? Do I need to do something?

Can I use my car?

Tks for your help

Thierry

It is OK to drive your car. You can drive your car with a CEL light on continuously as long as it is not flashing.

Thanks you all. I will leave the CEL pending and see if the system erase it by itself after a couple of hours running without the return of the same event or I will erase it and see.

Many thanks to all. My birthday is tomorrow, looks like a Durametric kit would be a nice 42 years old gift... Will see!

Have a good weekend.

thankyou.gif

Thierry

Edited by tolum