Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Everyone:

I've got a 2000C4 with 48,000 miles. Runs like a champ except for a small problem...

Thought i fixed a pinhole type leak in and around the coolant tank area but it sprang back today. I've read the other posts and examined the DIY for removal of the coolant tank. Before I spring the cash for a new tank (>$200), I'm kinda wondering what exactly could be leaking. The hoses going to the tank are in great shape (all three), spring clamps are tight, cap is new. Could the tank itself be leaking? Seems somewhat odd.

If someone could confirm the procedure for replacing the tank; drain enough coolant from the engine to ensure the hoses are empty, remove the air pump and then the fuel filter connections (will fuel leak out?). It seems like disconnecting the hoses from the coolant tank is next to impossible given the tight quarters? Anyone have any tips? Is a special tool needed for those spring clamps? Should I replace them with SS hose clamps?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Looking to get her back on the road asap.

• Moderators

Based on your questions, I would recommend that you have a professional mechanic R&R the coolant tank. There is a special hose clamp tool for removing the clamps, and in some cases, the engine needs to be lowered slightly for tank to clear the engine and body. You have a car with the shorter tank, but it is still very difficult to remove.

Thanks for the quick replies Loren and Orient Express.

Does "very difficult to remove" mean an impossible DIY without lowering the engine? I thought this would be a pretty straightforward fix with the right tools. Is the tank not designed to be pulled out? What am I missing?

Thanks Loren...already studied it in detail and the DIY tutorial is what is giving me the confidence to proceed on my own and save some $$$. But if it really is a struggle, maybe I'll throw in the towel and take it to the dealer.

Seems straightforward right?

Hi Everyone:

Ok, so I spent the evening trying to get the coolant tank out out of my 2000 C4. Thanks Loren for the guidance and Orient Express for suggesting that tool from Sears. Worked great. Drained some coolant, got the clips/hoses off, fuel lines disconnected, unattached the fuel filter from the coolant reservoir. Then I used the jack which comes with the car to lift the car at the rear jack point on the drivers' side. Lifted it up as far as it allowed. This actually didn't seem to give me much more clearance. Am I doing something wrong here.

THIS TANK DOES NOT WANT TO COME OUT !!!! I'm going to go as far as to say, there is no way it can come out. The plastic "seat" for the fuel filter seems to get caught on the engine. I've already ruined the tank sensor (got caught on something while trying to pull the tank out). The tank seems to be 75% out but it gets stuck between the body panel and the engine.

I'm somewhat starting to panic now since even if it does come out, putting a new one in, without ruining the sensor seems impossible to me. I'm starting to envision towing it to the Indy.

Anyone out there have any advice? Has anyone been successful with removing it on a 996 C4? I guess more clearance would help but the jacking on the one side of the car didn't really seem to help.

HELP!

• Moderators

Did you read all the posts in the DIY? You need to remove the motor mount bolt on that side and lower the engine just enough to get the tank out.

You will need to remove the rear motor mount bolts on both sides to lower the engine enough to get the tank out.

Thanks guys. I didn't know there was commentary attached to the DIY. I'm new to the site.

So to summarize:

1. On a 2000 C4, I need to drop the engine on the left side (drivers). Just one bolt? I have never even dreamed of doing this.

2. Do I need to jack up the car at the rear at all. One of the posts said I need 2 jacks. One for the car and one to support the engine.

3. Orient posted a pic of where to put the support jack, but its not really clear where.

4. What tools do i need to loosen/remove the motor mount bolt. How do I get to it.

I starting to think I am over my head.

Sorry but I forgot to ask if I get to remove the engine mount bolts, do I physically lower the engine, OR, keep it where it is and raise the body?

Sorry for all the questions, but needless to say, I feel that I am in over my head.

I replaced the tank on my 1999 C4. I did it without lowering the engine. It was a pain. I remember that I finally got it done. It was much harder to get it back in there than taking it out. When I put it back in, I put in the thermometer after I put it in place.

My tank cracked 9 months after I had just replaced it, so I ended up getting a new one under warranty. This time it was easier to replace.

Keep the receipt handy for the tank if it happens to you too

KL

Sorry but I forgot to ask if I get to remove the engine mount bolts, do I physically lower the engine, OR, keep it where it is and raise the body?

Sorry for all the questions, but needless to say, I feel that I am in over my head.

Edited by kristian

An update:

I got the old tank out after removing the left side engine mounting bolt after having supported the engine with a jack. When the nut finally came off, the engine dropped a bit. I guess I did not sufficiently raise the jack to take all the load off the mounting bolt. How much is too much?

My question is how much can I lower the engine without damaging it and anything around it when I am putting the new tank in? Should I remove the mount bolts on both sides?