Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Could Techroline Cause P1125

Scared to try a fuel additive I succumbed after reading here that others have added Techroline successfully. Filled tank two days ago and added bottle of Techroline. This afternoon I got CEL. Checked with OBD2 and got p1125 which reset. The OBD said P1125 was air temp sensor but searched here and found it means Oxygen Sensing Adaption Area 1 (cylinders4-6)- Lean Threshold. Do you think the Techroline could cause this? Also have a K&N filter but it has been on for over a month with no trouble. It is a 1999 996 C2 3.4 6 spd.

• Admin

I don't think it has anything to do with the Techroline - I have been using it for years.

All it takes is a spec of oil from the K&N to hit MAF and then dirt sticks to the MAF and throw the readings off.

Chances are you can clean the MAF and everything will be fine.

Bought and used the CRC MAF cleaner. It say's "Proven to Gain 4-10 HP at the wheels. If I use 10 cans will I get a 40 to 100 HP gain? LOL Just kidding.

I was actually advised by a PCA driving instructor to always use Chevron gas in my SC, due to the techroline additive. been using chevron ever since. lately I was told that Texaco, owned by chevron, also puts techroline in its gas.

Chevron is what I use in all my vehicles but this time I added the bottle of Techroline Additive because I am the car's third owner and not knowing what's been in it in the past I thought I would give it a good cleaning. Texaco is about a dime cheaper around here but I think I'll stick with Chevron. A mechanic pulled a head off a Prelude I had with 50,000 miles and the first thing he said was "You must use Chevron" because the valves were clean as a whistle. Good Stuff but still only 91 octane.

• 1 year later...

post-32160-0-93868500-1312957105_thumb.j

Chevron is what I use in all my vehicles but this time I added the bottle of Techroline Additive because I am the car's third owner and not knowing what's been in it in the past I thought I would give it a good cleaning. Texaco is about a dime cheaper around here but I think I'll stick with Chevron. A mechanic pulled a head off a Prelude I had with 50,000 miles and the first thing he said was "You must use Chevron" because the valves were clean as a whistle. Good Stuff but still only 91 octane.

Guys, sorry to bring life to an old thread, but Techroline is now called Techron, right? Same thing, right? I have been using the Pro-Gard bottle on the right that I bought from Costco, until recently when my store stopped carrying it. I then found the bottle on the left,,, I'm hoping Loren can chime in as to what the exact difference is and which bottle he uses. Thanks!

• Admin

Guys, sorry to bring life to an old thread, but Techroline is now called Techron, right? Same thing, right? I have been using the Pro-Gard bottle on the right that I bought from Costco, until recently when my store stopped carrying it. I then found the bottle on the left,,, I'm hoping Loren can chime in as to what the exact difference is and which bottle he uses. Thanks!

"Thank you for your inquiry. It has been forwarded to us here at Chevron Fuels Technical Service.

The ProGard and Techron products contain the same chemical additive. There is but one grade of the Techron product, while there are four grades of Pro-Gard. The Pro-Gard products are "Clean-up", "Fuel Injector Cleaner", "Fuel Injector Plus Intake Valve Cleaner", and "Gas Treatment".

The ProGard products give lower, less effective concentrations. These lower-concentration packages often sell for less. They have less "keep clean" and "cleanup" properties. They are also not concentrated enough to clean combustion chamber deposits. There are only subtle differences amongst the Pro-Gard products, mostly having to do with concentration.

Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner is the most concentrated and will clean combustion chamber deposits. There is approximately 100% more active ingredient in the Techron Concentrate than the Pro-Gard Fuel Injector Cleaner. The active ingredient is Poly Ether Amine with a solvent carrier.

A bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, when added to gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in Chevron gasolines.

If you always used Chevron gasolines, you should be getting enough of a dose of Techron such that you should not have to purchase the Concentrate."

"Thank you for your inquiry. It has been forwarded to us here at Chevron Fuels Technical Service.

The ProGard and Techron products contain the same chemical additive. There is but one grade of the Techron product, while there are four grades of Pro-Gard. The Pro-Gard products are "Clean-up", "Fuel Injector Cleaner", "Fuel Injector Plus Intake Valve Cleaner", and "Gas Treatment".

The ProGard products give lower, less effective concentrations. These lower-concentration packages often sell for less. They have less "keep clean" and "cleanup" properties. They are also not concentrated enough to clean combustion chamber deposits. There are only subtle differences amongst the Pro-Gard products, mostly having to do with concentration.

Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner is the most concentrated and will clean combustion chamber deposits. There is approximately 100% more active ingredient in the Techron Concentrate than the Pro-Gard Fuel Injector Cleaner. The active ingredient is Poly Ether Amine with a solvent carrier.

A bottle of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner, when added to gasoline according to the label instructions, results in an additive concentration roughly 10 times stronger than the dose in Chevron gasolines.

If you always used Chevron gasolines, you should be getting enough of a dose of Techron such that you should not have to purchase the Concentrate."

Loren, I figured you would have the answer at the tip of your fingers, as usual! Thanks again!!!