Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Water Pump Replacement Help

Hello all. 1997 Boxster. Manual, with about 97,000 miles on her. Lost my water pump this past weekend. Bought a new one, replaced it with no real issues thanks to the DIY article I found on this forum. After draining all the coolant that i could, I added about three gallons until the tank was filled towards the top. Then I started the car. I then pulled the bleed vlave open and left it in the open position. I did put the resevoir cap back on though. After the car ran for a while, I'd say about ten minutes, I added more coolant. The level had dropped down to the bottom and was actually out of sight. I eventually added fluid a few more times. I did rev the car up to about 3000 rpm for a minute or two, than back down to idle for a while again. After a total of about 10-15 minutes of running, I noticed the red light on the temp gauge was blinking at me. I monitored the temp and found that it had stayed aroud the 190 range. Later, I'd say another 10 minutes of running, the temp jumped up to about 220-230ish. It was dark, and I was tired, so I shut her down for the night.

Qiestion: do you think i still ahve air in the system? Or, could I have a bad thermostat? Any other ideas? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks...and yes, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. Actually, sold my BMW K1200LT motorcycle to buy this Boxster. I think it was a good move. Don't miss the bike a bit, and love this car. It is my first Porsche. I can already tell you it is definitely not my last.

Brian

• Admin

It could take a week to bleed the system - continually adding coolant with the bleed valve open.

It could also be be that parts of a fractured water pump are lodged in the engine or thermostat. Was the water pump impeller fractured? If so did you find all the pieces?

Bleeding these cars can be tricky if you don't follow a set procedure. I have the correct procedure documented here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/29-WATER-Flush/29-WATER-Flush.htm

The blinking red light means low coolant.

I would suggest you go thru the article and rebleed / add more coolant to the system, it shouldn't take very long at all. Loren is right too - it may take a little while for all of the air bubbles to work their way through the system.

Hope this helps,

-Wayne

It is tricky and necessary to bleed out all the air trapped in the system.

I believe that most of the ruptured coolant reservoir issues are due to air in the system.

There are factory-recommended procedures (alluded to by Wayne), but the only way to be sure that there's no air in the system is to use a vacuum replenish tool such as the one I have in my website: http://www.pedrosgar...ant_System.html

I completely sucks out all the air, even from the faraway front radiators before it starts filling with fresh coolant.

Happy Boxstering,

Pedro

Loren/Wayne/PPbon,

thank you all for the help. I am heading out right now to execute the procedure I just read suggested by Wayne. I appreciate all the quik replies. I'll let you all know how it goes...

Brian

All done! Second attempt to bleed went fine. Fluid level looks like it has stailized, fans came on and off as they should have. And, I took her for a 30 min ride. temp stayed fairly constant at the 12 O'Clock position, maybe a little higher, but certainly not where it looks like it is normal. Got home, lifted her up just to look for any leaks; none were found, so the under-cover was reattached, and she is asleep for hte night. Thank you all agian for the advice and help. Appreciate it.

brian