Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Identifing Cluster For Cruise Control Retro Fit

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help with some identification? I have a 996tt registered 11/2001 (MY02) and wish to fit cruise control to it. I have the 4 stalk set up, repair wires and connecter but cannot work out if I need to run wires to the ECU in the rear of the car or put them into the grey connector in the back of the cluster? My cruise tell tale light is in the row of warning lights in the bottom of the cluster (not sure if they are in different positions on these cars depending on year?)

I have searched though the thread in the 986 section but cannot find out where the changeover is....

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Jon

All 996 Turbos have the later type cluster, so you only need to run the wires between the stalk and cluster, and the one to the fuse box. You don't need to connect to the DME at all.

You will need to get the DME and Cluster coded, and once you have done that you will get the cruise readiness light on the speedometer when it is switched on.

Drop me a PM if you want some detailed wiring instructions.

All 996 Turbos have the later type cluster, so you only need to run the wires between the stalk and cluster, and the one to the fuse box. You don't need to connect to the DME at all.

You will need to gat the DME and Cluster coded, and once you have done that you will get the cruise readiness light on the speedometer when it is switched on.

Drop me a PM if you want some detailed wiring instructions.

Richard, Thanks very much for your quick reply - I relied on your notes in the boxster thread for the part numbers and the pin connections etc and was hoping it was the easier way! Thanks also for your offer of further help - I hope to wire it all up tomorrow so will let you know if I don't get anywhere! I think that my local dealer (Cambridge) will code the DME and cluster for me....

Thanks again, Jon

Thanks again Richard - my OPC coded the car today for free and it all works just as it should!

Alex - I bought the stalks and plugs from Porsche which were around £150 and the repair wires from VW (part numbers are given in the 986 section) - for a 996 Turbo I have found (using Richards knowledge) that it is just a case of running some wires from the new cruise control stalk to the cluster and one down to the fuse box - the correct pin connections are given in the 986 section too.

Jonathan

• 3 months later...

Hallo Richard

My name is Paolo I live in Italy, I am new of the forum, I own a 996 tt with tip (without the cruise), I have asked to PAG to retrofit it but the answer was it is not possible but I have always thought that it should be possible.

I will be glad to you if you can send to me more detailed information (wiring)

Thanks

Paolo

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

I am trying to install the Cruise control onto my 2003 996tt.

So i ordered following parts.

996.613.219.10EWC 4 Stalk Steering Wheel Assembly £149.52 plus vat

999.652.972.40 Cruise Control Connector £0.28 plus vat

999.650.513.40 OBC Connector £3.34 plus vat

999.652.901.22 Pin Connector (9 for Cruise) £0.44 plus vat

996 613 505 00 AO1 £2.94 control logo for the stalk

Now when i read below I understand I have to use additional wires?

DME Version 7.8 – MY2002-2004

DME 7.8 also uses electronic throttle, but the cruise control module is in the instrument cluster. This makes the process simpler. After fitting the control stalk you have to run one wire to the fuse box, and three wires to the instrument cluster. The system has to be activated with a Porsche tester.

From Pelicanparts gudie i read:

For 2003-2005 996 cars it's much easier. The cruise control functions are integrated into the instrument cluster, and all you need to do is wire the cruise control stalk switch to the appropriate pins in the instrument cluster. This is nearly identical to how the on-board computer is wired up (see Pelican Technical Article: On Board Computer Turn Signal Installation for the Porsche 911 Carrera). Connect the cruise control connector to the gauge cluster using the following table:

Cruise Control Connector: 996 Carrera 2003-2005

Cruise Control Connector Pin #1

Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #17

Cruise Control Connector Pin #2

Fuse B7 (black)

Cruise Control Connector Pin #3

Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #4

Cruise Control Connector Pin #4

Plug C on the Gauge Cluster (Grey) - pin #1

Even if i add the wires i cant figure out where the gauge cluster is located and how it can be connect with the parts I have. I attached two images below.

In my mind I though this was a plug and play kind of installation. Can someone please help me identify what I am missing and break it down to me as if I am a 4 year old. :)

Best Regards

Kim

jlcdPCA.jpg

image 1 - Cruise Control stalk wires

RmvRzHt.jpg

image 2 - instrument cluster

• 2 years later...

Hello.

Wondering if anyone could help me out?

I am trying to install the cruise control onto my 2001 996 c4 convertible with tiptronic, but there are already cables connected to connector IV pin18/19/25/27.

I'm not sure how to do with the cables. Posting a picture of the cartronic device

Best Regards Tony.

Untitled-1.jpg