Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Main Oil Cooler Replacement

Skip

I'm trying to remove the main oil cooler on the right side of the crankcase to replace the seals as there is a leak at the base where it enters the crankcase (opposite the S-tube from oil tank. I can access the bottom bolts without removing the heat exchanger and I think I can get to the upper ones by removing the air intake box. My question is, can the oil cooler be removed without (a) lowering the engine - as recommended in Bentley Manual; and (B) taking off the heat exhanger?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I have to disagree with porschetechnik, there is an old bulletin on putting some sealant on the case and you had to remove the cooler to get to it

I did all of them with out dropping the motor.

there is a cowling on the top of the cooler that lets you get to the top bolts

Thanks to both for the replies. The joy of oil all over the engine from years of minor leaks makes it somewhat difficult to figure out, but slow and surely I'll give it a try.

Over the years I have done it both ways. I you are youg and bend well it can be done in the car. I you are not that bendable and you want to really clean the engine, pull it.

A 912 is not that big a deal to pull. Over the years I have probably pulled 20-25 of the little devils. Those and 356s. Never a 911, I didn't want to get into all of the

specialized tools required for the 911.

I guess I'm not that bendy would be the answer. I did drop the engine in the end - not too difficult considering it was the first time. Did buy a special bracket from Pelican designed to fit on a 3 ton jack and perfectly balance the 911 engine and transmission on the case (with padding). Didn't really need special tools less the metric wrenches and so on (which I do have). I managed to get to the cooler cover and the cooler and simultaneously took off the skirt parts to clean it up - cauusing further parts purchases with what I found, but well worth dropping the engine to replace seals and so on + clutch and flywheel which slips terribly.

• 2 months later...