Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Engine replaced

hi

i just replaced my 996 c2 2000 model car engine, and the engine i paid for is supposed to be a cs4 2005 model.

how to check that it is the right engine?

because the car performance did not improve, i feel even that my old engine was more powerfull!!!!!

thanks

• Admin

Your car would have used DME 7.2 and would have had a 3.4 liter VarioCam engine.

The 2005 car would have used DME 7.8 and would have had a 3.6 liter engine with VarioCam Plus. I'm pretty sure DME 7.2 can't run VarioCam Plus - so they would have needed some other changes too.

Check the serial number on the engine and report back here.

• Upvote 1

Sounds strange (and highly unlikely) that they would have swapped the 3.4 for a 3.6 :unsure: It a big deal to do the swap. Like Loren said it's not only a different DME but (to do it right) requires a new insrument cluster as well as some additional reprograming and wiring.

If you did have the 3.6 you would definetly notice a difference in power! I did a swap so I know. It's a PITA.....

Be interested to see what that serial number says.....

• Upvote 1

thanks you guys but where i can find the engine serial? sorry but i am a bit illetrate in cars

Sounds strange (and highly unlikely) that they would have swapped the 3.4 for a 3.6 :unsure: It a big deal to do the swap. Like Loren said it's not only a different DME but (to do it right) requires a new insrument cluster as well as some additional reprograming and wiring.

If you did have the 3.6 you would definetly notice a difference in power! I did a swap so I know. It's a PITA.....

• Admin

thanks you guys but where i can find the engine serial? sorry but i am a bit illetrate in cars

Please do a search here this has been covered many times...

• Upvote 1

Please do a search here this has been covered many times...

ok here it is: M96/2365308062

Per that SN, it's a 2003 manufactured engine.

- Last 5 digits on from the right are the specific serial number

- 6th digit from the right is the code for the year of production

- 7th and 8th digits from the right are for type of engine (NA or turbo, and for the number of cylinders

Back to the year of production (6th digit from the right end)

W = 1998

X = 1999

Y = 2000

1 = 2001

2 = 2002

3 = 2003

4 = 2004

Edited by rb101

Per that SN, it's a 2003 manufactured engine.

- Last 5 digits on from the right are the specific serial number

- 6th digit from the right is the code for the year of production

- 7th and 8th digits from the right are for type of engine (NA or turbo, and for the number of cylinders

Back to the year of production (6th digit from the right end)

W = 1998

X = 1999

Y = 2000

1 = 2001

2 = 2002

3 = 2003

4 = 2004

thanks a lot for the help

at least i know that they did change the engine

how i can find out the specs of that new engine? i really want to know if it is S type and 3.6L like i was promised.

thanks

thanks a lot for the help

at least i know that they did change the engine

how i can find out the specs of that new engine? i really want to know if it is S type and 3.6L like i was promised.

thanks

'03 ENGINE SHOULD GIVE YOU 320HP. I DON'T THINK AN "S" MODEL WAS AVAILABLE IN '03. IT MIGHT TAKE 100 MILES TO LET YOUR DME ADAPT TO THE CHANGES. GOOD LUCK.

Is it possible that Jijioz has a 2001 996 (maybe a 2000 build) and therefore the 2003 replacement engine would not need a ne w DME etc? I stil don't believe they did 3.4 / 3.6 swap. Especially in Lebanon. It's not that easy to do ....

:)anyway i live in bahrain. i wish i took the car home to lebanon coz we have good mechanics there

thanks guys, so i will drive the car for 200-300 km to see if the performance will increase.

actually now i feel i am driving a toyota corola :)

the car feels heavy and slow, the RPM takes ages to reach to the next gear and if i remove my foot from the gas pedal it feels like i used the breakes.

the guy who did the swap is an ex porsche certified mechanic and very well known, but i really feel he does not know what he did with my car.

thanks

joe

Unless he changed out the DME and the other required electronics and hardware the car will never run properly. The power loss you are feeling is the lack of the "Vario Cam Plus" functioning, It will not function without the proper mods and revisons. Even here in the States very few tuners will do a swap. It's not worth the time and cost to them..

Sounds like you got a raw deal..

• Upvote 1

According to the engine number you provide, the engine type is an M96/23. This is a 2003, 2.7L Boxster motor. Sounds like someone pulled a fast one on you. The fact that this motor runs off of a 7.8DME is the least of your worries.

-Todd

Edited by tholyoak
  • Upvote 1

Todd is right M96/23 is a MY2003 Boxster 2.7 liter engine. Your car originally had a 3.4 liter engine.

If you were in the US I would suggest you call an attorney or file a fraud report.

thank you very much guys, actually here i dont even need an attorney - he will need one coz i can file a case directly in the police station and he will be screwed.

yes i have been cheated but the stupid mechanic really thought i will not feel the diffrence?????

ok guys sorry to keep on bothering you with this subject, but the engine ended up to be a carrera 2004 engine c2 , as the porsche dealer confirmed to me today after taking 200$ just to check it :)

what might be wrong? as i am certain that the serial number is showing diffrent facts.

now the guy promised that after tuning the car it will be as fast as "rocket" which i strongly doubt.

thanks

joe

Your car is a 2000 with VarioCam and DME 7.2. The engine you now apparently have is a 2002 or later VarioCamPlus engine that requires a DME 7.8, This is a major change and will require a very complex set of upgrades that not many have been successful in completing.

Take a look at this post I did on Rennlist.com that give you an explanation of the difference in the two systems.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/557016-how-variocam-and-variocamplus-works-a-primer.html

The older VarioCam system is a fairly simple on/off system, switches on the advance at 1,500 rpm and off at 5,000 rpm. The only other variable is the engine temp that can delay the advance. With the VarioCamPlus system of newer cars it is much more complex, with the advance of the intake cam variable, and lifters that change to increase the lift. There is no way a DME 7.2 can do this. Some have tried simple rpm based switches on older cars to control the new system, but it really does nothing close to the newer DME. And if you change the DME you need different instruments, there is no return on the fuel system, etc. etc. etc.

Good luck but I think you will need to go back to a 3.4 liter VarioCam engine.

Keep us posted.

• Upvote 1

joe,

Here are a couple of links that you and your mechanic/dealer might find interesting:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/996_USA_KATALOG.pdf

Page 594, then page 593 and 595

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/usa/986_USA_KATALOG.pdf

Page 468, then page 467 and 469

This a link to the relevant Porsche web site:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/originalparts/originalpartscatalogue/

Bill

• Upvote 1