Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

VarioCam Plus issues revisited

The vane cell units do go bad, so it's a possibility.

Internal cracking of the heads is also a definite possibly, would require removal and some elaborate rigs to pressure test them. Seen this happen as well.

I'm trying to source a tiny borescope (without coughing up $5k and buying one) to rule out the head BEFORE i pull the cams out. If it's a bad head, i'm going to jump on those 997 3.8 heads and swap both sides.

• Moderators

I think you are going to have fun finding a bore scope small enough to go down the oil feed gallery. Most automotive bore scopes are small enough to fit thru a spark plug hole, but way too big for your purpose. May want to look at someone that rents testing equipemnt to the scientific community or tool and die makers, like Electro Rent or Advanced Inspection Technologies..............

AIT Electro Rent

I think you are going to have fun finding a bore scope small enough to go down the oil feed gallery. Most automotive bore scopes are small enough to fit thru a spark plug hole, but way too big for your purpose. May want to look at someone that rents testing equipemnt to the scientific community or tool and die makers, like Electro Rent or Advanced Inspection Technologies..............

AIT Electro Rent

Thank you for those links! I've been pondering where to even begin looking to rent something like that! Even my aircraft turbine mechanic friends don't have em that small.

I'm inclined to think that even at $400....this is worth confirming that the head isn't *#(@'ed before I go tearing cams out and what not. If the head checks out via borescope, swap out the vane cell unit and replace the sealing rings under the bearing sleeve and hope that fixes things.

Obviously, if the head does turn out to be the problem, then, when the motor comes out I'm going to have a set of resurfaced 3.8 heads and cams and all ready to go on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Charles-

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I did some studying today myself of a vane type 3.2 Boxster engine and heads, and thoroughly studied the oil flow through the case up to the head and hydraulic solenoid. All of the oil feed to the heads is up through the head bolt bores, and then there are passages machined in the head in the bores to feed oil to wherever it has to go. In the case of the vane cell oil feed, it has its own feed from the upper head bolt nearest the adjuster.

As you can see in the pictures I took, these passages are quite large, and there's really no way that anything could clog these up, and if any debris did get through (up from the bearing carrier), it would have lodged in the finger screen before the solenoid, which again, has been clean each time I've had it out. Further, since this oil comes off the bearing carrier, if there was any starvation issues they would have to be present at a main bearing journal, and if that was the case, the motor would have spun a bearing a LONG time ago.

Examining the head gaskets, no matter how you put the gasket on, or what version of gasket was used, there'd be no way to partially plug up the feed hole, so I think that rules that possibility out.

The 3.6 engine this all started with was intact, and had not suffered a failure, it was merely semi high mileage (75K or so). I did not source parts from several motors to complete this, nor did the motor blow up prior. However, maybe it is time to pull the cams from the engine and swap out vane cell adjusters. I would, however, like to find a way to inspect that oil passage in the head for damage (and obviously contamination), but I have no idea where to get a borescope that small.

I don't think an RPM switch would work for this, as it needs multiple inputs. People have used that type of system to trigger the valve LIFT function, but that would not really work for the valve advance. There is no problem with the valve lift functionality. I have to assume, however, that when a tuner was writing a map for this thing, that the advance could easily be disabled below a certain RPM.

Does anyone know of available of "normal" cams and solid lifters?

Could you perform some sort of pressure testing on the oil galleys?

mike