Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Range 2 ignition question

OK guys, here goes for my first ever post. I have had a 99 C2 6 speed for about a year. I love the car. It is in pristine condition inside and out. Not even any broken panels on the underside. I am the third owner and have all the maintenance paperwork from day one. I paid a couple hundred bucks to have the car inspected before I bought it, and the mechanics gave it a thumbs up. It has had the normal repairs such as a clutch at 45,000 miles, an alternator, brakes, front rotors, and basic filters, fluid change etc. The car has 55,000 miles now. It does not burn one drop of oil between oil changes (every 4,000 with Redline 5-40). The engine is clean and does not show any past or present oil seepage. It runs like a scalded cat and is as tight as a car off the showroom floor. So why this post? I bought a Durametric just to play around with. I hooked it up and found out there are 131 range 2 ignitions. The last one was at 301 hours. This is a long time ago, but 131 seems like a lot. Now for you experts to step up to the plate. The Durametric instructions indicate one range 2 ignition might invalidate a warranty. I have 131!!!!!!! I can't imagine the thing will blow up now after all these years, but how could this thing still be alive and well if apparently abused that badly when it was new? Is the Drametric screwed up? I wonder if it is possible for this thing to have been driven that hard and still be like new 1600 operating hours after the last alleged over rev. Any thoughts? Oh...by the way... I am somewhat computer literate and have yet to be able to figure out how to post a picture with my profile. It always tells me the image size is too big even though the auto make the picture smaller deal says it is on.......

OK guys, here goes for my first ever post. I have had a 99 C2 6 speed for about a year. I love the car. It is in pristine condition inside and out. Not even any broken panels on the underside. I am the third owner and have all the maintenance paperwork from day one. I paid a couple hundred bucks to have the car inspected before I bought it, and the mechanics gave it a thumbs up. It has had the normal repairs such as a clutch at 45,000 miles, an alternator, brakes, front rotors, and basic filters, fluid change etc. The car has 55,000 miles now. It does not burn one drop of oil between oil changes (every 4,000 with Redline 5-40). The engine is clean and does not show any past or present oil seepage. It runs like a scalded cat and is as tight as a car off the showroom floor. So why this post? I bought a Durametric just to play around with. I hooked it up and found out there are 131 range 2 ignitions. The last one was at 301 hours. This is a long time ago, but 131 seems like a lot. Now for you experts to step up to the plate. The Durametric instructions indicate one range 2 ignition might invalidate a warranty. I have 131!!!!!!! I can't imagine the thing will blow up now after all these years, but how could this thing still be alive and well if apparently abused that badly when it was new? Is the Drametric screwed up? I wonder if it is possible for this thing to have been driven that hard and still be like new 1600 operating hours after the last alleged over rev. Any thoughts? Oh...by the way... I am somewhat computer literate and have yet to be able to figure out how to post a picture with my profile. It always tells me the image size is too big even though the auto make the picture smaller deal says it is on.......

gla:

131 Type II ignitions are not nearly as much as you might think.

The number "131" indicates the number of ignitions, NOT the number of times the engine was overreved.

Since it's a 4 stroke engine, only 3 cylinders out of 6 fire once for every revolution, so, for starters, you have to divide 131 by 3...So, that leaves you with less than 44 actual revolutions of the engine when it was overreving. At 7,000 RPM's, for example, the engine will only require 1 second to turn about 116 revolutions.

So, it appears that your engine was only in that overrev range for a total of about 1/3 of a second, and that may not have been all in one occurrence. That also inures to your benefit because even though the recording of the type II overrev in a 996 does not specify how far over the limit the engine has revved, at 1/3 of a second, it does not point to a massive overrev.

Additionally, since the last time that the overrev was recorded was more than 1600 hours ago, the likelihood that any serious damage was done is slim to none, IMHO. That type of damage usually shows up immediately or very soon thereafter.

Regards, Maurice.

First welcome to Renntech. I would say to relax. First 131 is not very many considering...You have to realize that the number captured by the DME is the # of ignitions at that condition. So @7200 rpms=120 revs/sec...3 ignitions per rev (6 cylinders/2)...it would be difficult to measure by a chronometer. I do not know what a deal killer would be, but even 131 would be about 1/3 second in the over rev condition. You didn't provide the total hours on the clock, but by your post (1600) it seems the over revs occurred some time ago. Whether the dealer will disallow warranty work is completely dealer dependent.

here is a good link

Regarding your avatar, just create your own at the correct image size.

Oops I see Maurice beat me to it....LOL

Edited by wross996TT

First welcome to Renntech. I would say to relax. First 131 is not very many considering...You have to realize that the number captured by the DME is the # of ignitions at that condition. So @7200 rpms=120 revs/sec...3 ignitions per rev (6 cylinders/2)...it would be difficult to measure by a chronometer. I do not know what a deal killer would be, but even 131 would be about 1/3 second in the over rev condition. You didn't provide the total hours on the clock, but by your post (1600) it seems the over revs occurred some time ago. Whether the dealer will disallow warranty work is completely dealer dependent.

here is a good link

Regarding your avatar, just create your own at the correct image size.

Oops I see Maurice beat me to it....LOL

wross:

Great minds think alike! LOL!!! cheers.gif

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks guys...I feel better.....I have learned much from my regular visits to this forum.

I wouldn't worry too much. I have 7 Type II's recorded at 0.1 hours. This likely occurred at the factory since it happened somewhere between 0 and 6 minutes