Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How do I remove the glass from the Tach?

Does anyone know how to remove the glass from only the tachometer (not the rest of the gauges) on a 1999 C2?

I want to remove it to clean behind it and then put it back in place. I'm very hesitant to "fiddle" with it because I don't want to break anything.

P.S. Great new board!! :thumbup:

Thanks, :cheers:

Mark

Mark Wheeler

1999 (996) C2

mark3575@cox.net

• Admin

Once you have the instrument cluster out (you didn't say whether you are that far yet).

The cluster itself is 3 pieces - front frame (glass and frames), display unit (needles and gauge faces) and electronics unit.

You need to open the cluster by:

1. Pull off the buttons for the clock and trip mileage counter.

2. Remove the metal springs from the left and right mounting points.

3. Place the unit on a flat level surface preferably on a soft towel.

4. Unclip the center of the electronic unit at the bottom. Then hold the press the green guide rails outwards with a screwdriver to release the latch. Take the electronic unit upwards out of the display by carefully pulling alternate sides (evenly).

5. Undo the clips (on some newer version clusters) in the indicator light housing and carefully take the display unit out of the front frame

6. You should now be able to change the glass.

Reverse the steps to re-assemble.

Jeff, you are welcome to add anythnig here since you have taken quite a number of these apart. (not mine thank God) ;)

• Moderators

I have a Boxster and bought a 996 cluster off ebay so I could have the 2 extra gauges. When I put the 996 cluster in my Boxster the middle LCD display was bad as it had broken segments. :angry: I took it apart to see if I could fix display by replacing the bad LCD - can't get parts from VDO or Porsche. Since Loren still has a warranty I thought of putting my ebay cluster in his car and driving down to the dealer.....

The 5 clear plastic dials are all part of one unit, you cannot remove just one, and you cannot remove the dial unit without first removing the entire pod from the dash as the instrument cluster is held to the pod with 2 torx screws in the back of the pod. Here is a 996 pod removed. We do this all the time with the trip computer retrofit as we add new wires to the connector in back of the instrument cluster.

cluster_996.sized.jpg

Then you remove the 2 knobs and flip the pod over and remove the 2 torx screws. There are 2 black metal spring clips at each end of the cluster that the screws go through. Pull the clips off. The clear plastic dial unit is held in place with 3 plastic clips on the unit that clip to the body of the cluster. You have to get a thin tool in the cluster to release the top clip from the back of the cluster. The 2 bottom clips you can release with your fingers. I am releasing the top clip in the next 2 pictures, and you can see the knife blade just to the right of the top clip.

cluster39_front_release_001.sized.jpg

cluster40_front_release2_001.sized.jpg

Here is the dial unit out, and you can see the top clip and the 2 bottom clips. I blew out the cluster with compressed air to get the dust out and used a soft cloth to clean inside each plastic lense.

cluster14.sized.jpg

You don't need to do this. I kept on going to see if I could fixt the center display - too bad I could not get the part to fix it - but there is always that nice 996 owner with the old style cluster and a warranty :D

cluster8_001.sized.jpg

These instruction are for 2001 or older 996 clusters. The new style cluster that came out in a 996 in 2002 and on a Boxster in 2001 is a bit different. I have also taken apart the new style cluster just to see what was inside. Jeff

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

We made the DVDs for the mechanically challenged. With a few exceptions we filmed the owners working on their own cars. Sounds like you need the trip computer one. 3 installs, 1 of which is with the switch. If you have not even removed the oval and broke the switch..... ;) Take less than an hour to do a trip computer, but then I've done about 30 of them.

When the battery has been disconnected you need to reset the windows. Instruction are in the manual. I simply run the windows all the way up and down a few times.

• Moderators

We could put the instructions on stone tablets, as the only DVD player I have is my notebook I got a few months ago.

If you are ever in the San Jose area we will put it in for you. I suggest doing it with the stalk rather than the switch as it will then be just like the factory option.

new_pictures_from_camera_072.sized.jpg

Jeff,

I completed the OBC hack last night, I was finally able to remove the oval sleeve around the hazard switch. Thing is, when you're not sure, you hate to pull on anything too hard, for fear of breaking something.

Anyways, the rest of the instructions were pretty clear, and the switch seems to work pretty well. Now i just need to replace the hazard switch I broke the other day. It's on order ;)

Thanks again for your help and patience. Next project will be the B&M shifter I think :)

David

• 2 years later...

Well... it's an old post... but at this step... where is the plastic lense (is it on this part or still on the cluster?) ?

cluster14.sized.jpg

I would like to paint the rings like this but I don't know how to disassemble the parts... (especially the rings... without breaking something) :

instr.jpg

Edited by Mendrax