Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Minor Coolant Loss

Folks,

My 00 C4 with 13K Miles on a new engine and a total of 33K miles is experiencing a very minor Coolant Loss (I think). Initially when i bought the car with a new Engine, the Coolant according to the dealer was a bit more then it should be and hence I saw some coolant around the cap area. They performed a pressure test on the cap and it did not leak, but did observe that the cap is a old style cap.

Over the course of 11 months and 13K miles of driving, I have also noticed that the Coolant level over all has somewhat decreased from the max level to now just a little below min level.

I have not topped it off a single time. Also I notice that the coolant level varies during the course of driving. Warm car will show a close to max coolant level and cold car will show a <min level.

My concern is, Do I have a leak, busted Gas kits or is this all normal?

Car is under full warranty. Before I take it in, want to hear from you guys.

Thanks

Noor.

• Admin

Should be warranty (mine was). I don't think there was a TSB on this but to my understanding Porsche changed the part number and 00 version was to be removed from the shelves (as in "do not use"). The correct part number is 996 106 447 01 (it was about $14).

Went to Carlon Porsche today and they said its all Normal. Fluid fluctuates between min and max depending on the temp of the car.

So I am not going to pull my hair on this. Next major service I will have them look into it in details. Worst case, I will get a new Engine! All under the Warranty:-)

Thanks for replies.

Noor.

I had this problem on my car and nothing showed up when I brought the car to the garage, visual checks, pressure tests, etc. It looked ok but it was definitely leaking. We found the leak in the end by putting a black light fluid in the coolant chamber after topping it up and then the next time it dropped, I went around the car with UV goggles and a black lite and there it was, the radiator hoses on the left driver radiator had 'yellow' all over them. These were then replaced (470 bucks US) and no problems since. My extended warranty didn't cover this because they are plastic parts.

I'd recommend the same procedure fo your car if you want this sorted quickly. You can buy a black lite kit in any checkers etc. The porsche dealer recommended this procedure and didn't specify only use brand X so it should be fine.

Billy

Folks,

My 00 C4 with 13K Miles on a new engine and a total of 33K miles is experiencing a very minor Coolant Loss (I think). Initially when i bought the car with a new Engine, the Coolant according to the dealer was a bit more then it should be and hence I saw some coolant around the cap area. They performed a pressure test on the cap and it did not leak, but did observe that the cap is a old style cap.

Over the course of 11 months and 13K miles of driving, I have also noticed that the Coolant level over all has somewhat decreased from the max level to now just  a little below min level.

I have not topped it off a single time. Also I notice that the coolant level varies during the course of driving. Warm car will show a close to max coolant level and cold car will show a <min level.

My concern is, Do I have a leak, busted Gas kits or is this all normal?

Car is under full warranty. Before I take it in, want to hear from you guys.

Thanks

Noor.