Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

After OBC Hack Fault codes and Fuel Low Light

I have installed the fourth stalk on my 2003 Boxster and wired it as follows:

Stalk Pin 1 _ Ground

Stalk Pin 2 _ Cluster Pin 23

Stalk Pin 3 _ Cluster Pin 22

Stalk Pin 4 _ Cluster Pin 21

Stalk Pin 5 _ Cluster Pin 24

Connected the Durametric tool with the latest Ver 6 Update (6.0.3.1)

I turned on OBC with the Durametric Tool.

A few problems were encountered:

The stalk does nothing ( Tested the swich using an ohmmeter and checked OK and the ground connection is OK)

The fuel low level light is on and I have almost a full tank of gas

I have two Fault codes from the instrument cluster:

P0071:

Porsche fault code 76 - Ambient Temperature (via CAN from instrument cluster)

P1601:

Porsche fault code 660 - CAN timeout - instrument cluster

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Edited by dragonflyoh

Checked the connectors and all are locked in place. Checked the wires going to the pins on the grey connector and they are ok. I went back to step one and thought I would disable the OBC and when I did that I got a message that said it was already disabled. I re-enable it, the lights on the instrument all went out and got a message the action was complete. Nothing changed so I went back to disable and get the same message about it already disabled. I thought about disconnecting the wires but they are not connected to anything until the arm is moved. I sent a note to Durametrics about the problem. Thanks for the idea.

• Moderators

I have not kept up on what a Durametric can or cannot do Never used one so I so not know what you can see with it..

Unless you have a very, very early 2003 you do need to put in the order type in the DME before you can modity the instrument cluster coding to with OBC.

Keep in mind the order type is in the DME Once the order type has been entered then you cannot go straight to the instrument cluster to change the coding to with OBC. You have to start the automatic search all over again to scan all the control units. Then you can go straight to the instrument cluster and change the coding.

When the coding has been changed the instrument cluster will go dark and then turn on. You will hear a gong sound. The trip odometer will go to zero.

But this is with a PST2.

post-4-019489100 1285738868_thumb.jpg

post-4-014408100 1285738894_thumb.jpg

post-4-025794600 1285738922_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the information and offer to help. I am in Ohio so it a trip to Roseville would be difficult to justify.

My car was manufactured in 12/02 so I don't think it is an early release. I will contact the local Porsche dealer today and see if they will set the order type to 986310. I will take a printout of the instructions in case they have any problems.

Thank you again for all of the help. I shall let you know what happens next.

I received an answer from the people at Durametric. First off they told me the order type is not required with their tester, it's only required for the factory tool. They then had me run a couple of enable OBC actions and send them the log file. I did that and today received an email that said they saw what the problem is and they are working on the software to fix the problem. They will let me know when the fix is available. I shall provide an update when that happens.

Durametric updated their software and OBC is turned on but there are several functions that I cannot call up. What I can see is :

Outside Temperature

Average Speed

Average Consumption

Range on remaining fuel

I cannot see:

Check Warning message

Oil

BC

Set

Off

I checked the owners manual and enter and escape work as described but select up or down does nothing except reset the trip odometer. I checked the switch with an ohmmeter and it works fine. I double checked the wire connections and they are connected as follows:

1. OBC Pin #1 - to ground (earth),

2. OBC Pin #2 - to gray connector position #23, Escape

3. OBC Pin #3 - to gray connector position #22, Enter

4. OBC Pin #4 - to gray connector position #21, Select Up

5. OBC Pin #5 - to gray connector position #24 Select Down

The way the switch is acting I am suspecting a wiring connection problem. Any ideas?

Even though the car is an '03, you will not get all the features of the OBC shown in the operators manual. You will only get the features of the original OBC of the earlier clusters. Hence you can't get Oil, Set, BC, etc.

The wiring connections you show are 100% correct. On the PST2/PIWIS you can check the lever movements in the Instrument Cluster Input Signals. I don't know if you can do that with the Durametric though.

Thank you for the information. I am missing something. I have an 03, I have OBC tuned on, but I can only get the information from the earlier clusters. If the 03 cluster has all of the information as shown in the owners manual why can't I see it? Is this something Porsche did by design or a limitation of the hack?

Yes, there are two different clusters for your 03. There is the base cluster (which you and I have), and the OBC cluster that they put in the car if you ordered the OBC. There are OBC functions in the base cluster, and by doing the four stalk mod and enabling you get the basic functions. Without installing one of the better clusters what you see is what you get.

The functions I get are: Speed Waring, outside temo, ave miillage, dist to empty, tripmeter. The only oil function is during startup.