Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Clutch Sound an coolant smell

My 99' 996 C2 has a particular sound when I press the clutch, is increased when I accelerate the engine idling or running, "sounds like a old power steering pump". The clutch pressure is good. The sound look like is coming from the front side of the vehicle. What is it?

And to complete it has a coolant smell in air conditioning. I check the coolant reseirvor and in fact has decreased. I checked for any leaks near engine and front bumper and nothing! It is possible the heater core? Where to check?

I'll appreciate any help

B)

Jose

Edited by jose

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

You will need to check for leaks with a pressure tester. Sometimes leaks are the cap or coolant tank and may be very small and hard to find.

The clutch noise can't really come from the front as the clutch is hydraulic - so all clutch action is transmitted in fluid. If the noise is at your feet then it is likely the clutch pedal return spring.

Thanks Loren,

I can tell that is not in the pedal. The sound is more prominent when I open the windows. The only way to hear it is when pedal is pressed. I can't be outside and inside the car at the same time. So I can't define if it is comming from the front or rear. Let say that is comming from rear! It sound like worn pulley or powerstering without oil,you know! because when the car is accelerated with the clutch pedal down that sound increase. The sound dissapear after the pedal is released. :huh:

You will need to check for leaks with a pressure tester. Sometimes leaks are the cap or coolant tank and may be very small and hard to find.

The clutch noise can't really come from the front as the clutch is hydraulic - so all clutch action is transmitted in fluid. If the noise is at your feet then it is likely the clutch pedal return spring.

Thanks RFM,

Where exactly I can locate those faulty release bearing?

thanks,

Jose

Sounds like a faulty release bearing to me, concerning the coolant smell, as Loren says, use a pressure tester to find the leak.

Edited by jose

Thanks RFM,

Where exactly I can locate those faulty release bearing?

thanks,

Jose

The release bearing (also known as a throwout bearing) is located inside the bell housing of the transmission, where it presses on the release fingers of the clutch pressure plate when pressed by the clutch release lever.

Regards, Maurice.

It is possible to load a sound clip here? I would like to upload this problem, so experts can judge.dry.gif

I don't know much about transmission and clutch. I'm 100% amateur. B)

Edited by jose

• Admin

It is possible to load a sound clip here? I would like to upload this problem, so experts can judge.dry.gif

Yes, just upload it like an image.

You can upload sound files in: MP3, WAV, WMV, MOV, MPG, or RAM formats.

• Upvote 1

Tune up your speakers here we go.

I load a 36sec audio I think this explains all.

I must add that this sound I have been noted increasing thru the years.dry.gif

Memo.mp3

Edited by jose

Anyone?

Tune up your speakers here we go.

I load a 36sec audio I think this explains all.

I must add that this sound I have been noted increasing thru the years.dry.gif

Antifreeze smell.......on my 02 C4 the antifreeze overflow deposits expelled antifreeze directly on exhaust pipe just before the left tailpipe tip. Could be smelling the antifreeze residue burning off the pipe. This continues long after the liquid is dissolved. I wire-brushed the residue off and it seemed to help.

Thanks for reply,

I got your point but it also happens when the car is running anywhere, also on certain range of temperature. I opened another post called heater core removal. According to what we discussed there is very possible to be the heater core. I haven't physically removed the heater core but seems the most logical step to take. As occurs on certain temps.like from 69-74 on the panel it's that when mixing cold air from outside And heat from the heater core, if the heater core is leaking then when the heater core that use antifreeze this smell will be detected immdiately. And the heater core is only device that contain coolant in the A/C system.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply guys. B) That will be a task for next summer. For now sleep, sleep, sleep this winter.

I'll post here my results later.

Thanks for reply,

I got your point but it also happens when the car is running anywhere, also on certain range of temperature. I opened another post called heater core removal. According to what we discussed there is very possible to be the heater core. I haven't physically removed the heater core but seems the most logical step to take. As occurs on certain temps.like from 69-74 on the panel it's that when mixing cold air from outside And heat from the heater core, if the heater core is leaking then when the heater core that use antifreeze this smell will be detected immdiately. And the heater core is only device that contain coolant in the A/C system.

• 7 months later...

Well, The summer is ON and I bought the clutch, I got a SACHS clutch kit on ebay for $439, My mechanic estimate the labor for around 600.

Is this estimate right or should be less?

What's your opinion?

• 3 weeks later...

I would say about 4 hours labor.

Thanks Loren,

I took the car to the mechanic today and the release bearing was bad :thankyou: , as you said guys, but an additional inspection reveal that the clutch pedal helper spring was also bad. I won't go for an additional 240's to replace it and wait 6 days for part delivery. I want to take it calm and DIY. B) Need your help.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...