Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Couple issues with my new 996

So a couple of weeks ago I traded my 02 986 for an 02 996 C2 Cab with 35K miles on it. Over the last week I've been having some issues with it.

First issue, when I start the car and attempt to drive off it feels like it's going to stall out through first and second. I have to ride the clutch a bit and give it some revs to get up to speed. Once I've pushed some gas through in first and second it seems to be fine. Clutch, fuel pump, spark plugs? Any ideas?

The other issue is that a couple of times now the anti-lock brakes have kicked in briefly during mild braking. Brake pads going bad.

I still need to get the car to the shop to get it looked over. I bought it at the worst possible time due to the hours I'm having to put in at work. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

First thing I would do is clean the throttle body. As for the ABS issues, be sure the tires are correct in size and properly inflated. If the wheel speed sensors are weak,dirty or have the incorrect air gap they can cause your issues. Have the ABS system checked for fault codes.

So a couple of weeks ago I traded my 02 986 for an 02 996 C2 Cab with 35K miles on it. Over the last week I've been having some issues with it.

First issue, when I start the car and attempt to drive off it feels like it's going to stall out through first and second. I have to ride the clutch a bit and give it some revs to get up to speed. Once I've pushed some gas through in first and second it seems to be fine. Clutch, fuel pump, spark plugs? Any ideas?

The other issue is that a couple of times now the anti-lock brakes have kicked in briefly during mild braking. Brake pads going bad.

I still need to get the car to the shop to get it looked over. I bought it at the worst possible time due to the hours I'm having to put in at work. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated.

"..during mild braking.."

Wet, oily, roadbed, bumpy roadbed, railway, crosswalk paint stripping..??

ABS only kicks in, activates, when TOO much braking is being used for current roadbed traction conditions.

But ANYTHING that results in a tire loosing contact with the roadbed during even light braking will oftentimes result in ABS activation.

To help you maintain directional control during braking, any LEVEL of braking, ABS detects IMPENDING lockup by monitoring the rate at which end individual tire is slowing and if the computation indicates the tire will soon reach lockup the brakes are momentary released.

Thanks guys. With your advice and all the right info found here on Renntech I was able to clean the throttle body in less than half an hour. There was a significant amount of carbon residue in there. Much more than in the photos posted with the DIY. It took me about three passes to get it all clean. Holy crap! What a difference! Starts up like a new car and I could be imagining things but seems to drive, accelerate and sounds better overall. I got to know a lot about my boxster and learned how to do a lot of things mechanically and cosmetically. But so far the Carrera seems much more friendly for engine accessibility. :thumbup: That would have been a pain in the *** in the 986.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Since I cleaned the throttle things improved for about a week but progressively since it's gone back to wanting to stall when first starting the car. Is it possible that more carbon residue has accumulated since and the throttle body needing further cleaning? Just a little history on the car, the last owner purchased the car in 2007 and put less than 2000 miles on it in three years. I'm using it as a daily driver and I'm sure I'm driving it harder than the previous owner. So do you think it might be just a matter of clearing out the cobwebs?

Sounds like MAF is the best bet for a DIY fix. I was planning my first road trip in the 996 next week for Thanksgiving going from Dallas to southern Missouri. Hopefully cleaning the MAF this weekend will resolve my issues and ease my mind. Thanks guys!