Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Real gas vs E-10

Hey folks,

I overheard a conversation recently that there is Ethanol-free 93 octane gas available at one gas station across town. The claim is that they get better gas mileage on it, better performance, and in a high humidity environment like where we live, real gas is less likely to absorb humidity than an ethanol blend.

The station is not especially convenient to me, but if the benefits are true, then I'd be happy to make the detour to fill up.

Has anyone experimented with E-10 vs real gas performance and confirm/deny the benefits in P-cars?

thanks!

Edited by DaveFL76

Hey folks,

I overheard a conversation recently that there is Ethanol-free 93 octane gas available at one gas station across town. The claim is that they get better gas mileage on it, better performance, and in a high humidity environment like where we live, real gas is less likely to absorb humidity than an ethanol blend.

The station is not especially convenient to me, but if the benefits are true, then I'd be happy to make the detour to fill up.

Has anyone experimented with E-10 vs real gas performance and confirm/deny the benefits in P-cars?

thanks!

On all my vehicles I get better mpgs with non-ethanol gas though the gains only show for highway driving and it's generally in the range of 1 - 2mpg. It is true that you get less moisture and corrosion with the non-ethanol gas. There is more energy in a gallon of gas than a gallon of ethanol as reflected in the mpg gains you do make more power.

--CC

• Moderators

Ethanol is about 30-35% lower in energy output compared to gas, so any level of EtOH is going to reduce both total performance and mileage by some amount. This is one of the farcical aspects of the Fed requiring the use of 10% in gas, and why "Flex Fuel" vehicles make little sense from and energy conservation perspective (other than to help the corn farmers); but in many (if not most) states, you have no choice but to use fuel with ethanol in it. Fortunately, the M96/97 engines and fuel systems can tolerate up to 10% EtOH, but no higher; but the DME is going to change its profile to accommodate the lower energy potential of the fuel.

Edited by JFP in PA

As others have stated, you will notice a drop in your gas mileage. When I had my 996, I experienced 2 mpg drop with no other changes. One side effect I noticed was water accumulation in the winter. I had to start adding a bottle of heet every couple of tanks.

As others have stated, you will notice a drop in your gas mileage. When I had my 996, I experienced 2 mpg drop with no other changes. One side effect I noticed was water accumulation in the winter. I had to start adding a bottle of heet every couple of tanks.

Good info, everyone.

I did a little research and found http://pure-gas.org

It's a site that keeps track of ethanol-free gas available in your area.

I discovered that a station that I drive by almost every day offers ethanol-free 90 octane.

The ethanol-free 93 octane station is not nearly as convenient, so the question is, given the same price per gallon, would you fill up your car with 10% ethanol 93 octane or ethanol-free 90 octane fuel?

• 1 year later...

Good info, everyone.

I did a little research and found http://pure-gas.org

It's a site that keeps track of ethanol-free gas available in your area.

I discovered that a station that I drive by almost every day offers ethanol-free 90 octane.

The ethanol-free 93 octane station is not nearly as convenient, so the question is, given the same price per gallon, would you fill up your car with 10% ethanol 93 octane or ethanol-free 90 octane fuel?

I was wondering the exact same thing. Did anyone ever respond and/or have you tried the 90 ethanol-free fuel ? I also have access to it.